Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently noticed a lot of smoke coming out of exhaust pipe. Please checkout video below:

Video was taken after I drove for about 40mins. Then parked (engine still running). Then immediately recorded the video. I also noticed smoke while I'm driving too. I checked yesterday and saw some water (not a lot, just drops) dripping down the pipe.

Weather is a bit cold these days. Here in WA, its usually in the range of 35-40 degree.

Is that normal? Please let me know. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It looks like condensation to me. Water in the tailpipe is a normal condition. To be safe I would check your antifreeze level. If it is low it could be possible head gasket problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a hard time taking this post seriously, I can't believe people are this naïve, yes, when it gets cold out exhaust will be visible and will look just like your video. If the exhaust doesn't have a strange smell to it then it's perfectly normal. If it was oil burning it would be much thicker looking and have a order that would be very strong.

Relax, your Rav4 is just fine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If your antifreeze level is good, then the white vapor is simply warm, moist air from the exhaust hitting the cool, dry air in the surrounding area and causing the white mist to form, similar to what you get when you exhale and see white mist coming from your mouth.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is Normal

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You should see the fog of water vapour that comes out at -40.
At stop lights you can't see the car in front of you when they start to accelerate.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
If that is a serious post, the white exhaust is clearly condensation of the combustion vapors - at the emergence point from the exhaust system and is hot the exhaust gas is clear, then after it mixes with cold air condensation is induced. Normal!

·
Registered
11 Posts
For 25 years as a mechanic I have been asked that question from concerned owners. Its always when the weather cools down and along with the first question is "my car is using more fuel now". Both questions can be answered with a "that is perfectly normal for this time of year".
Like the others have said it is just normal water vapor that is part of the combustion process that is now visible when outside temperatures drops past freezing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts