Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been some discussion concerning the brakes on the various RAV4.4 models ( LE, XLE, Limited ) and country of manufacture. Here is some specific info ...

My 2013 RAV4 is a Japan built XLE model intended for the U.S. market.

I was monitoring the front brakes via a visual inspection of the front rotors and a tactile check of the rotor to outer pad backer with a finger. All was looking good but the pads were getting close to the end of their life around 32,000 miles. My wife is the primary driver, mostly stop and go in somewhat hilly terrain. Anyway, I took the RAV for a 1,700 mile trip and hear / feel a rumbling from the front brakes under heavy braking. While the standard visual check showed no problems, a more through check was done at the 1/2 way point due to the problems encountered. Turns out, both of the inner pads had gone to bare metal without the wife hearing any squealing from the sensors and scored the rotors!!! :surprise

Bottom line, new front rotors and pads, replaced away from home. The RAV had 35,000 miles. The nearest parts store was an Autozone and here are the part numbers that I used that were the correct / exact fit for my RAV4 :

DGC1211 Duralast Gold Ceramic Front Disc Brake pads with shims and hardware kit
44582 Duralast Front Brake Rotor Qty = 2

There are many manufactures to choose from for the pads and most have letters preceding the 1211. These letters are manufacturer specific and usually identify the pads composition ( ceramic, semi-metallic, etc ). The 1211 is the important number to remember. Here is a quick list of other brands that are premium ceramic kits :
Raybestos PGD1211C
Wagner QC1211
Bendix SCD1211
ACDELCO 14D1211CH
Monroe CX1211

Of course, it is best to carry in the old pads and a rotor to ensure a positive match.

Hope this helps others when they need to replace their RAV4's front brakes.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Are you happy with the Duralast ceramic discs......no squealing???

·
Registered
189 Posts
wow, good thing it didnt damage your calipers.

tires and brakes are so important, they are your life when driving RAV4, :)

well, best visual check is to remove the wheels and measure every pad, especially if you dont bring for service the brakes at the right time or earlier, rusts will build up, will seize up, etcetera etcetera. when you see front pads at around 3-4, prepare that money for new front pads and rotors.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you happy with the Duralast ceramic discs......no squealing???

Yes, the Duralast ceramic pads seem to be very good. ( First time I have ever used that brand.) My usual routine after a full brake job is to drive around and do a easy stop from 30 MPH ( with a 1 minute cool down in between stops ) about 20 times. Then I try to avoid hard stops for the first 300 miles. The trip home was about 900 highway miles and we encountered no panic stops. The brake pedal feel and brake response is very good. No noise, squeal, vibration or pedal pulsation at all. Hopefully they last longer than the original pads but I will try to monitor / inspect them ( including the inner pads 0:) ) more often.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Under ideal conditions, they should wear evenly.

I'm not an expert, but with the caliper piston on the inner side, the inner pad probably makes contact first with the rotor. If there is any issues with the two caliper slide pins, it could case this issue. Always best to inspect the slide pin boots / seals for rips, tears & holes and clean & lubricate the slide pins during the brake job. Make sure you use the correct slide pin lube, too. This lube comes with some high quality / complete pads kits or you can buy a small package of it at the parts counter that is enough for a one axle brake job.

I'm sure there are other reasons for one pad wearing out first, like a pad frozen in place in the caliper ( not the case here ). It was just strange that both outer pads had some lining left ( ~1/8" ) and were pretty even and both inner pads were gone and we never heard the audible squealers going off...

Just found this article on the WEB with some useful info : http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/FAQ/brakepad.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have had similar results with three different Corolla brakes, no noise from metal [scrape] sensors yet inner pad is worn to and beyound replacement thickness. Outer pads had lots of wear left in all cases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts