Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Toyota engine with direct injection is the 2AR-FSE, the 2009-2016 Rav4 2AR-FE engine is sequential multi-port injected.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/216338-direct-injection.html#post2022338

No something is not jiving here. Again, not clear again. I guess I will take the info from my link directly from Toyota. You state 2009 to 2016 is NOT direct injected.

From Toyota news link.

"All 2014 RAV4 models are powered by a 2.5-liter direct-injection four-cylinder engine coupled to a standard six-speed automatic transmission, with fifth and sixth gear ratios being overdrives. The engine produces 176 SAE net horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 172 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,100 rpm and runs on regular grade gasoline. With front-wheel drive, the EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 24 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway, while all-wheel-drive models are EPA-estimated at 22/29 mpg."

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From Toyota's own online news site.

"Six-Speed AT, Dynamic Torque Control AWD, Sport and ECO Modes
All 2014 RAV4 models are powered by a 2.5-liter direct-injection four-cylinder engine coupled to a standard six-speed automatic transmission, with fifth and sixth gear ratios being overdrives. The engine produces 176 SAE net horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 172 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,100 rpm and runs on regular grade gasoline. With front-wheel drive, the EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 24 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway, while all-wheel-drive models are EPA-estimated at 22/29 mpg."

My Honda Fit has Direct Ignition too, no big deal. I don't want direct injection unless I have the second injector in front of the valve to wash the intake port and valve. Direct injection in a single injector form is an epic failure as far as long term maintenance.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
This and others say port fuel injected.

2016 Toyota RAV4 SE AWD Test – Review – Car and Driver

http://carpreview.com/toyota/rav-4/2015/review

Any mechanical changes?

Prior to 2013, you could purchase a RAV4 with either a four-cylinder engine or a powerful V-6. To the disappointment of performance enthusiasts, the V-6 was dumped in the redesign and isn’t likely to return. So a 176-horsepower 2.5-liter four-cylinder will return, as will a six-speed automatic as the sole transmission. With this engine, acceleration is no more than adequate, and it lacks the state-of-the-art direct fuel injection you get with most competitors.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two different factoryToyota mechanics a from two different dealers said 2014 and after is direct injected fuel injection. One a service advisor talked to a mechanic for me and the other said I have our lead mechanic right here and handed it over to me. Right from the guys who see it daily.

Crap, I really don't want it, I wish it was multi port injected or the new two injector version that will fix the epic failure of a design that every manufacture ran with and then found out the design is flawed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a 2016 RAV4 in February. I also did not want direct injection. I think, in the long run, the sequential fuel injection will be more reliable, while not quite as efficient. I contacted Toyota directly and specifically asked whether it had direct injection or port injection and Toyota responded that it was port injection. I think many journalists read direct ignition in the Toyota journalist information packets and confuse it with direct injection. Before I bought my car I opened the hood and listen to it. With direct injection, you can hear a little clattering sound. This engine does not make that sound so I am quite sure that it is port injected not direct injected.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know what you are talking about because I had a 2015 Honda Fit as a loner car for my 2009 air bag recall. it sounds like a Singer sewing machine with the solenoids. But why would 2 mechanics say it is direct injected. They did not get a direct ignition mixed up. Direct ignition is nothing special or no grand thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I still have the email reply from Toyota customer service that says when they researched my question about fuel injection they replied that the 2016 RAV4 has port fuel injection. I am computer challenged so I can't figure out how to attach it here. But, I will say that this is a topic that has multiple incorrect answers on the Internet if you try to research it, as I did in February. It does not surprise me that some people at the dealership do not know. If you know what direct injection sounds like, then you can go to the dealership and listen to it for yourself. If you lift the hood and listen, this engine does not make that ticking sound that direct injection engines make.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But "lead" mechanic and "a mechanic" were asked. Customer service people I have almost ZERO hope in. Plus I use to have an Audi repair shop I ran part time out of my garage and I had 65 clients. I have been wrench on cars from 15 years old. I have found many times you can't trust service managers. Most were never mechanics they, were "office yes men" That is why I specifically asked to talk to a mechanic for this answer. And again I really hope what I have been finding out is dead wrong.When my wife gets back I will look at it to see if I can see "where" the injectors are located.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With your experience, you should be able to go to the dealership and ask to look under the hood and instantly know, for sure, the answer to your question.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not looked yet, I was to busy changing oil, installing my hitch, and changing diff and transfer oil. Plus I was not asking the question until I posted it. I don't have to go to the dealer, I own a 2014 AWD Rav4

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can't trust documentation from Toyota. Two factory mechanics told me otherwise. They work on them daily. Office people pushing all the documents do not know what they are doing as we see there are documentations going both ways.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well it sounds like a deal breaker. You'd better sell your unreliable RAV4 immediately since you're convinced of its "epic failure in design".

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
You can't trust documentation from Toyota. Two factory mechanics told me otherwise. They work on them daily. Office people pushing all the documents do not know what they are doing as we see there are documentations going both ways.

Two mechanics that are apparently misinformed! :rolleyes: The 2009-2016 Rav4 has the 2AR-FE engine which is SFI, the 2AR-FSE is the GDI version of the 2AR engine that has never been used in the Rav4, applications are in the Toyota Crown and a couple Lexus models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AR_engine

1 - 20 of 26 Posts