Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a bizarre situation - our 2014 Rav4 does not move when we put it in drive or reverse. We have double and triple checked to ensure the emergency brake is not on (we've engaged it and disengaged it numerous times). When attempting to go forward or backwards, the car attempts to, but stops as if the brakes are on. We called the dealership and they were not able to offer suggestions. There are no warning lights coming on the dashboard. At this points we'll need to have it towed to the dealership for examination - but I was hoping someone might have a suggestion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
ebrake froze? Caliper froze?? Can you put it in neutral and see if you can push it? Or someone can push it for you?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Next logical step would be to figure out which wheel(S) is(are) at fault. Do you have ability to jack up rear both sides and try to spin them, then do the same with the front. Something I would do at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx - that is a good suggestion. I won't be able to attempt that until Wed - I am not at the home where the car is.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hopefully it's something simple, I would expect something like that in the winter, happened to me couple of times, after driving through deep water and then leaving it on parking breaks haha. Rather unpleasant surprise in the morning :), When everything froze and I had a hard time getting my truck moving. But in the summer.. hmm

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I've had the same frozen parking brake situation in winter as Ivan70 but obviously not in summer. If Ivan70s diagnostic procedure doesn't identify the difficulty, the problem could be that the transmission Park pawl somehow is still engaged in the locked position even though the shift lever apparently can be moved between forward and reverse and those gears apparently engage. But have not heard of that happening, or even if it is possible.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the car was driven in heavy rain and then parked for a week with emergency brake on, the brake shoes could have rusted to the drum. It is not necessary to jack up both sides, one side with the transmission in Neutral will allow enough movement to check if the brake is stuck.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 20k+ miles

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If the car was driven in heavy rain and then parked for a week with emergency brake on, the brake shoes could have rusted to the drum. It is not necessary to jack up both sides, one side with the transmission in Neutral will allow enough movement to check if the brake is stuck.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 20k+ miles
The rav4 is 4 wheel disc.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
By the shift stick is a small button flush with the console. It looks like it has a screwdriver slot. It disengages the drive for short towing. Pop it off and try the button underneath. If that does not help perhaps one our electrical schematic experts can trace it back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Definitely possibility that ebreaks shoes won't release. Even that RAV4 is 4 disks, ebreak is still drum alike design.

Based on how original poster described vehicle's behavior I have my doubts that something is wrong with the shifting, it does engage forward and reverse and neutral. He did mention that it feels like ebreak engaged. Let's just hope that's it. Couple of blows with decent size hummer through piece of wood into ebreak portion of the disk should cure that most of the times. Let's hope for the best :)

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Definitely possibility that ebreaks shoes won't release. Even that RAV4 is 4 disks, ebreak is still drum alike design.

Based on how original poster described vehicle's behavior I have my doubts that something is wrong with the shifting, it does engage forward and reverse and neutral. He did mention that it feels like ebreak engaged. Let's just hope that's it. Couple of blows with decent size hummer through piece of wood into ebreak portion of the disk should cure that most of the times. Let's hope for the best :)
Ah, yes, it reminds me of the old Volkswagen e-brake. A whack with a big dead-blow hammer fixed all. I kept one under the the bonnet. When I moved to the USA in 1968 I was an occasional hero with that trick.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just a long shot - but if it's anything electrical/computer controlled, could try unhooking battery for a while to reset they system.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The rav4 is 4 wheel disc.
True but the emergency brake is in a small drum hub in the rear rotors. Manufacturers have learned the hard way that an emergency brake using the disk caliper has many problems so they incorporated a small drum into the rotor with small brake shoes. All my vehicles that had the emergency brake operating the disk caliper had problems so I am glad to see independent brake shoes rather than compromising the life of the disk caliper.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 20K+ miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all for the helpful comments. Will be working on the car tomorrow afternoon and see if some of the suggestions work. Will provide feedback once issue is identified.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts