Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI.

My RAV4 has almost 46K on it. I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation a couple weeks ago. When the tires were pulled the inside tread of one of the rear tires was worn. in a pattern that looked like every other section of tread was worn down lower. I hope that makes sense. The tire also sings and is most noticeable around 45-50 mph. These re the original tires. I plan to change tires later this year.

Anyway, one of the rear shocks was leaking and could be seen easily when on the lift with the tire removed. I called the dealer and was told it was not covered by warranty so I decided to replace the shocks myself.

I couldn't find any you tube videos showing how to remove/replace on a 2014. However, the process is the same on the 2014 as it is for the 4.3 versions of the RAV. There is a bracket at the bottom that rear shock bolts to and the top of the shock is a tight work space, but doable. If you watch one of the existing you tube videos for a 4.3 you will know how to do it.

I picked up the shocks online and replaced them with
349024 KYB Excel-G Toyota Rav 4. I spent just over a hundred on the shocks delivered to my house.

The install took me about 2 hours. Most of that was spent on the first one figuring out how to get the top bolt undone.

I drive mostly in the city and highways around chicagoland areas. I did take the vehicle on a fishing trip in the spring and drove on a gravel road for a couple of days. That is the only time it has not been on pavement. I guess I just got a bad shock. I did replace both.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can you please explain any change in the personality of the new shocks compared to the OEMs. My wife drives a 2014 Rav4 AWD and I was in the back seat on some bad roads and got pounded.

Example: I change out all four struts/shocks on my 2009 Honda Fit with Koni STR.T Orange. I changed them out because the valving was a bit too stiff and pounding. Too much compression dampening. Now the Fit seems more refined with a softer ride. Still stiff, but not pounding. And I must add now that I am 54 I want a softer yet controlled/sport ride but not over or unrefined dampening. My street car when I was 20 was a VW Sirocco with a detuned Super Vee motor, SIde draft Webers , Nitrous Oxide, Bilstein coil overs, 12 point roll cage, fuel cell ect..... So I have and know what stiff damping is.

So do you think the damping is smother? Less compression dampening?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mainia, I noticed zero change is the characteristics related to driving after the new shocks were installed. If you are looking to improve the ride of the vehicle, I can't help other than to say the new shocks I put on didn't help or hurt in any way I can tell. The rear end still kicks harder than I would prefer. I'm not sure if new shocks can help that or not... I'm not a suspension expert... it may be the springs? Sorry, I can't help with your question.

I only replaced the shock because it was leaking and I was getting uneven tire wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts