Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
58k miles. Just driving at about 40mph and those lights came on and the throttle wouldn't work, would just idle along. Tried turning it off and on a few times, no throttle response. Idled to a parking lot, turned it off and on, now it drives again. OBD reader said P060A Permanent Error, Google says "Internal Control Module Monitoring Processor Performance" or so. No other codes. So, after searching around, it could be anything. Any ideas on how to narrow it down without replacing things and hoping it will go away eventually when I've replaced enough stuff?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
How is the battery in your RAV, is it the original?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is the battery in your RAV, is it the original?
I've only owned it for a year, but it has a Toyota 84 month battery in it but the date on it isn't marked. The starter cranks like a good battery. It looks clean and the terminals are clean and tight.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Toyota is famous for failing batteries. I would have the battery and alternator load tested to see if they're up to snuff 100%. Also, check to see if any cell is not capable of holding a full charge with a hydrometer - Auto Zone should be able to perform those tests for free.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It could be a low voltage glitch, but P060A is a complex code and IMHO should not be ignored. The service manual goes thru a rather involved set of steps to help determine if the ECU can be cleared or if it should be replaced. The suggestion at the end to take a look at the stored Freezeframe data is also an excellent idea. Battery voltage is one of the items recorded. I've used an AutoEnginuity laptop package for a good 10 years now to view the detailed captured & stored data.

This might still be covered by your Powertrain warranty, or even the Federal Emissions warranty.

Internal Control Module Monitoring Processor Performance (P060A)

MONITOR DESCRIPTION
The main CPU and sub CPU of the ECM perform data communication between each other. The main CPU monitors the communications and WDC pulses from the sub CPU. When the signal malfunctions below are detected, the DTC is output.

DTC No.​
DTC Detection Condition​
Trouble Area​
P060A​
A CPU reset is performed after one of the following conditions is met (1 trip detection logic):
  • There is an ECM main CPU error.
  • There is an ECM sub CPU error.
  • There is an electronic throttle monitoring CPU error.
ECM
MONITOR STRATEGY

Related DTCsP060A: Internal Control Module Monitoring Processor Performance
Required Sensors/Components (Main)ECM
Required Sensors/Components (Related)-
Frequency of OperationContinuous
Duration-
MIL OperationImmediate
Sequence of OperationNone
TYPICAL ENABLING CONDITIONS

Monitor runs whenever the following DTCs are not storedNone
TYPICAL MALFUNCTION THRESHOLDS

Either of the following conditions is met1 or 2
1. All of the following conditions are met-
CPU reset1 time or more
Learned throttle position - Learned accelerator pedal position0.4 V or higher
Command to electronic throttle actuatorOFF
2. CPU reset2 times or more
CONFIRMATION DRIVING PATTERN

1. Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to ON and turn the Techstream on.
  3. Clear the DTCs (even if no DTCs are stored, perform the clear DTC procedure).
  4. Turn the Techstream off.
  5. Turn the ignition switch off.
  6. Disconnect the Techstream.
  7. Disconnect the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal and wait for 1 minute.
  8. Connect the cable to the negative (-) battery terminal.
  9. Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
  10. Turn the ignition switch to ON and turn the Techstream on.
  11. Wait 16 seconds or more.
  12. Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine / Trouble Codes.
  13. Read the pending DTCs.
    HINT:
    • If a pending DTC is output, the system is malfunctioning.
    • If a pending DTC is not output, perform the following procedure.
  14. Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine / Utility / All Readiness.
  15. Input the DTC: P060A.
  16. Check the DTC judgment result.
    Techstream Display​
    Description​
    NORMAL​
    • DTC judgment completed
    • System normal
    ABNORMAL​
    • DTC judgment completed
    • System abnormal
    INCOMPLETE​
    • DTC judgment not completed
    • Perform driving pattern after confirming DTC enabling conditions
    N/A​
    • Unable to perform DTC judgment
    • Number of DTCs which do not fulfill DTC preconditions has reached ECU memory limit
    HINT:
    • If the judgment result shows NORMAL, the system is normal.
    • If the judgment result shows ABNORMAL, the system has a malfunction.
  17. If the judgment result is INCOMPLETE or N/A and no pending DTC is output, perform a universal trip and check for permanent DTCs (See page
    ).
    HINT:
    • If a permanent DTC is output, the system is malfunctioning.
    • If no permanent DTC is output, the system is normal.
CAUTION / NOTICE / HINT

HINT:

Read freeze frame data using the Techstream. The ECM records vehicle and driving condition information as freeze frame data the moment a DTC is stored. When troubleshooting, freeze frame data can help determine if the vehicle was moving or stationary, if the engine was warmed up or not, if the air fuel ratio was lean or rich, and other data from the time the malfunction occurred.

PROCEDURE

1.​
READ OUTPUT DTC (DTC P060A)
(a) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(b) Turn the ignition switch to ON.

(c) Turn the Techstream on.

(d) Clear the DTC (See page
).

(e) Turn the ignition switch off and turn the Techstream off.

(f) Disconnect the Techstream.

(g) Disconnect the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal and wait for 1 minute.

(h) Connect the cable to the negative (-) battery terminal.

(i) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(j) Turn the ignition switch to ON.

(k) Turn the Techstream on.

(l) Wait 16 seconds or more.

(m) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine / Trouble Codes.

(n) Read the DTCs.

Result​
Proceed to​
DTC is not output​
A​
DTC P060A is output​
B​

A
CHECK FOR INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS

B
REPLACE ECM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! They check out but it could still be a flaky condition so I'll watch for the symptoms.

Toyota is famous for failing batteries. I would have the battery and alternator load tested to see if they're up to snuff 100%. Also, check to see if any cell is not capable of holding a full charge with a hydrometer - Auto Zone should be able to perform those tests for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for all the time you spent on this post and for the info. I didn't know freeze frame had to do with something the ECU stored, just thought it was something a logger already stored so I didn't think to check it. I had my OBD app log everything while driving around quiet streets so I could plot everything and see what went on if it happened again. Now the code is gone and the freeze frame is empty, probably from that driving it got cleared. I'm just out of warranty but I'll look into the Federal Emissions warranty. I found I can get TechStream but it doesn't work with my usb obd cable so I'll get one that does and can go over that info when/if it does it again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The freezeframe data collected and stored at the time a code is logged is one of those hidden gems that few seem to know about. I've used that data a few times over the years to help nail elusive problems and force Toyota to take action, or solve issues quickly where it's on my dime. You can see strings of misfires, fuel trim, whether you are in open or closed loop operation, etc. It's particularly useful on V6 engines as you can see what's going on one bank vs. the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts