Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2014 Toyota RAV4 LE that I bought brand new in 2014 that currently has 95k on it in the US. I have done maintenance on it such as timely oil changes, brake and rotors, tires etc. I have not ever replaced the transmission fluid.
I bought a brand new 2020 RAV4 and will be passing the 2014 one down to my son for college (8 hrs away). Looking at other posts, I should have changed the transmission fluid around 50k as others have suggested but the maintenance schedule never mentioned it. Thank God haven't had any issues with this car but I would like to get the maintenance updated on this before giving it to my son. We are planning to keep it for the next 5yrs, up to 200k.

Should I go for a fluid exchange (drain and refill) or should I go for a flush? Doing some research on here, I see some people having issues with slippage and/or so trying to avoid that. Want to play it safe. I do not feel comfortable doing this myself so will have a dealer or mechanic do this for me.

Any other maintenance items I should get done? Coolant exchange? Brake Fluid Exchange?

Would appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Some recommend a simple drain and refill rather than a flush. They feel a total flush could possibly hurt the transmission even though you get all the used fluid out. A drain and refill is a more gentle way to do it although it would have to be done 2-3 times to remove most the used fluid. They also say if you are going to do this, you should have the filter changed. It's really what a person feels comfortable with. Below I posted a link that shows how to do simple drain and refill. I'll be doing mine this way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some recommend a simple drain and refill rather than a flush. They feel a total flush could possibly hurt the transmission even though you get all the used fluid out. A drain and refill is a more gentle way to do it although it would have to be done 2-3 times to remove most the used fluid. They also say if you are going to do this, you should have the filter changed. It's really what a person feels comfortable with. Below I posted a link that shows how to do simple drain and refill. I'll be doing mine this way.

Thank you. May I ask is not still recommended to replace the filter with a drain and refill?
How many times would I have to drain on refill and at what intervals? Would appreciate the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts