Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had a flat with my awd rav4. I have the spare on it right now. Since today is Thanksgiving, I have no opportunity to get it fixed. We are due at cousins place in a couple of hours. Cousin lives 15 miles away, so that's 30 miles to travel with this spare. Will this mess up my awd?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Don't imagine so. That's what it's there for. I kind of assume it is the same diameter as the stock wheel. Plus, you are in vegas so I assume you don't have a lot of snow so I don't imagine the AWD will kick in unless you are in sport mode.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
The OEM spare tire on the 4.3 is the same spec. as the other four OEM tires and if the OEM road tires have been replaced with tires of the same spec. as the OEM tires the spare will still be the same as the rest. No problem using that spare tire.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just keep your speed down when on the freeway and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Last night I had a flat with my awd rav4. I have the spare on it right now. Since today is Thanksgiving, I have no opportunity to get it fixed. We are due at cousins place in a couple of hours. Cousin lives 15 miles away, so that's 30 miles to travel with this spare. Will this mess up my awd?
Tire size is: P225/65R17 (LE & XLE)
Temporary spare on both models is: 165/80R17ST

The temporary spare is 3.9% smaller diameter. At 60mph, the spare is going 62 1/3 mph. The differentials ~should~ handle this but more important is that the temp spare has a very limited life - usually 60-100 miles. The owner's manual ought to have a warning if you should keep the speed down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts