Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual states a 15.9 gallon capacity. I'm on my 8th fill up and never put more than 13.2 gallons that I put in this morning. The driving range value was down to 7 miles and the needle was very close to E.
Has anyone put in more than 13.2 gallons of gas?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The tank has a "reserve" simply built into the guage. Meaning that, when your tank reads empty you still have xx amount of miles and x amount of gallons left in the tank to get to a station. I think someone posted concrete numbers on this before but I can't remember them exactly. So basically it is normal. Just a preventative way to keep the general public who like to wait until the tank is actually on E before filling up from being stranded. Not to mention, actually running out of gas is pretty bad for newer cars these days compared to old carburated non computer controlled cars.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,326 Posts
We have gone over this many times in the forum and figured out that on average, when the yellow light comes on, you still have about 4 gallons in reserve.

G

·
Don't forget that if you go too low, the fuel pump might burn out. The fuel is what keeps it cool and lubricated.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
I've turned the light on twice intentionally. 2.5 gallons +/_ a few tenths remaining both times. Fill up was less than one mile from the light coming on.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Don't forget that if you go too low, the fuel pump might burn out. The fuel is what keeps it cool and lubricated.
Not entirely true.

This was a big problem on many GM vehicles, which had fuel pumps that were marginal at best to begin with.
It has never been confirmed to be a problem on any import, and in any event, it won't happen from just one (or a few) times running the tank dry.

Remember, the fuel is also flowing THROUGH the pump, cooling it.
Many vehicles have the pump mounted in the top of the tank, so the pump itself is never submerged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For what it is worth owner of an older Nissan Pathfinder was told his fuel pump burned out due to lack of cooling fuel around the pump. He continually ran it at 1/4 or less.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I've put 150-250k on multiple vehicles and the only fuel pump I ever lost was on an '88 Mercury Topaz that failed before I had 10k on it.
I've regularly run it to the light since that car, didn't before then because the gauges were horrible on my older cars.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Finished my taxes last week and felt the need to "get away" for a few days. Since I'm in the middle of a move, I decided to make a quick run up to the new place and packed up the kayak, four bicycles, and fifteen boxes full of 'stuff' in the back. In other words, I was pretty well loaded.

The wind between Payette, Idaho and Kennewick, Washington was pretty brutal and I could tell that my mileage would be awful. The dash gauge read 19.9 mpg, which is the worst I've ever gotten. The light came on, and I was miles from the nearest gas station. Lowered the speed another five mph and "limped" into Kennewick to my usual gas stop, Costco. When the pump clicked off, it took 14.382 gallons! For awhile there, I was really sweating it. (The spreadsheet calculated mileage was 20.1 mpg. It is not often that the actual mileage is better than what the car gauge says.)

On the other hand, to give an example of the effect of wind at highway speeds, on the return leg between Bishop, CA and Palmdale, CA, keeping to the posted maximum speed limit, (mostly 65 mpg on the 395), and with the wind pushing me; the car says it got 34.5 mpg and the actual was 35.8 mpg for the 210 mile leg. That's up in hybrid ranges.

Attachments

Reactions: 1000MPH

·
Registered
40 Posts
Given the 15.9 gallon capacity I would guess that your remaining usable fuel is about 1 gallon when you filled up. Perhaps as little as half gallon usable fuel depending on how efficiently the pump is placed in the tank.

I once drove my Honda Civic for about 50 miles after the fuel warning light came on (the manual states about 1.5 gallons remains when the light first comes on). I had two gallons of emergency fuel in the trunk so I decided to push it. The gauge had dropped to below empty for at least 15 miles. I filled up with just over 10 gallons on an 11 gallon capacity tank. I'm pretty sure fuel pump was pretty close to sucking air at that point.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've driven to the low fuel warning light many times. I've never added more than 12.75 gallons. Looks like I average 12.5 gallons to refill when the light comes on.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I've driven to the low fuel warning light many times. I've never added more than 12.75 gallons. Looks like I average 12.5 gallons to refill when the light comes on.
Ditto.
Generally, there's a couple or three gallons left when the light comes on depending on the vehicle. My Tacoma, with a 22 gallon tank, would take somewhere in the 16.x range if I stopped as soon as the light came on.
My Corolla takes a touch over 10 at the light with a 12g tank.

Generally, most Toyotas, you are pretty safe to 50-60 miles on a fresh "light" and I've even gone 20 miles past the "Range = 0" and still had a gallon left.

The light, Range remaininbg, and the "E" on the gauge are intentionally set to be conservative so you definitely won't run out before the needle hits "E" or the "Range = 0"

But ya... high speed and strong headwinds are a killer for any high profile vehicle.
I've done as well as 29mpg in the '15 Rav (wife has never done better than 23), and on the same trip, as bad as 17 (stiff headwind across Arizona at 75)
The Tacoma was the same way. I would normally average 24 on my commute here in LA, could go as high as 32 on a trip to Texas with a tailwind, but without a wind, moving from 65 up to 75 would drop my average down to 20-22.

·
Registered
134 Posts
talking about wind. On a trip south on rt95 after about 100 miles I was calculating that I would be on 0 about 50 miles short of where I wanted to buy gas. I found a FedEx truck holding a constant 73MPH and ducked in about 3 car lengths behind it. When I reached my gas station my range turned 0. I went from about 31MPG to 38MPG behind the truck and got 50 miles free.

·
Registered
428 Posts
We have gone over this many times in the forum and figured out that on average, when the yellow light comes on, you still have about 4 gallons in reserve.
I asked this same question as the manual states reserve capacity (after light comes on) as 2.4 gallons. Mine is considerable more than that at 4 gallons, pretty much as mentioned here.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I asked this same question as the manual states reserve capacity (after light comes on) as 2.4 gallons. Mine is considerable more than that at 4 gallons, pretty much as mentioned here.
I think 2.4 is probably a fair call for once the needle hits "E"

·
Registered
12 Posts
talking about wind. On a trip south on rt95 after about 100 miles I was calculating that I would be on 0 about 50 miles short of where I wanted to buy gas. I found a FedEx truck holding a constant 73MPH and ducked in about 3 car lengths behind it. When I reached my gas station my range turned 0. I went from about 31MPG to 38MPG behind the truck and got 50 miles free.
Wow! Are you driving a hybrid Rav4 or a regular one? Even following a truck, 38MPG is very high. My best is 35MPG AVG on the car, and when I calcuate ,it's about 34.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Wow! Are you driving a hybrid Rav4 or a regular one? Even following a truck, 38MPG is very high. My best is 35MPG AVG on the car, and when I calcuate ,it's about 34.
If you click his membername>About me in his profile, you'll see he's driving a 2014 2WD (FWD). I've not done any drafting, but holding a steady 50mph on flat highway for a 40 mile round trip got over 42mpg in my HV, no tail wind.

Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Profile: ruggb

·
Registered
134 Posts
yep, 2014 Rav4 2wd. I was amazed also for 73mph. Drafting works, just don't get too close and don't take your eyes off the ball. I found 2 car lengths too close and 4 gives a lot of turbulence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you click his membername>About me in his profile, you'll see he's driving a 2014 2WD (FWD). I've not done any drafting, but holding a steady 50mph on flat highway for a 40 mile round trip got over 42mpg in my HV, no tail wind.

Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Profile: ruggb

Amazing! that's about 5.6L/km, it performed like a hybrid car .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.