Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to unlock passenger front door by hitting unlock twice, it doesn't always unlock (but back doors do). What is funny is that when I give up and get in drivers side and throw it into reverse, the lock will lock and unlock a bunch of times like it remembered all the times I tried to get it to open, rapid fire unlock/lock.

It's my first Toyota so I may be doing something wrong.

ps Stupid questions...... My key has lock/unlock/panic, this is low level LE. Is it a "smart" key, or is that term for keys with keyless start? Also, can I assume the LE has tire pressure monitoring system b/c I see TPS somewhere on the dash? I tried looking up in the manual in the car and it's listed but also "(if equipped)" which didn't help me answer the question for sure.

Thanks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
You do NOT have a smart key. With the smart key, you don't have to push any buttons to unlock the doors. If it's under warranty, take it back to the dealer and demonstrate how it doesn't unlock the passenger door. When you turn the key, you should see the TPMS light come on momentarily. All RAV4's made for the US market must have TPMS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JuneBug. I haven't even been in for 5K check-in so I will ask them about it then, as well as reprograming the lock to beep when it locks.

I want to look into getting another key while I'm there. I thought I'd price out a manual key and one that locks and unlocks with remote on it (I hesitate to say valet key b/c the glove compartment on LE has no lock.) Would I use the term "Transponder Key" and "FOB" when key has built in remote to describe the additional key types? If they aren't that different in cost I may get the remote part included in the 'extra' key in case the remote part fails I'd have a backup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts