Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping to post a picture of transmission temperatures from the ~1,450 mile towing this year but the house didn't sell and I am driving the car back empty soon (re-renting the house until next year).

Attached are temperatures etc. from Denver to Atlanta at about the same elevations at about the same time of year in 2016 and 2017. Throughout the trip I'd say the vehicle ran 10->15F cooler with the synthetic fluid. It had a full change to Redline D6, but I imagine any real synthetic will be similar + smell a lot less awful than that redline did (ugh!).

Shifting on the highway seems smoother, but in town is the same.

The original post from towing the trailer here in 2015:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/198433-towing-uhaul-2015-rav4.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
^ What he asked - X2!

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did you manage to get the correct PID setup for auto transmission temperature? I setup mine through the torque pro using PIDs at some folks at this forum, but the numbers are weird (inaccurate) for the most part...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apologies for the delay. Too much going on: including sinus surgery last week. am only awake now as they changed out my recovery meds to just a steroid. Should always read side-effects, after not sleeping I Googled them and the no 1 side effect is.. "difficulty sleeping" + it seem they gave me a pretty strong dose. Doh!

Indeed the app is Torque, using an ELM327 (BAFX IIRC for ~$25 four+ years ago).

A screenshot of the PID is attached. Seem to recall the one pasted to the web I used had a closing bracket missing (could be wrong).

The transmission temp seems to seek out being close to the coolant temp, so that means the PID is almost certainly correct. At ~60F outside I seem to recall both temps are about the same at a reasonable highway speed. It's possible to tell when the thermostat opens for the coolant which is neat :)

How did you manage to get the correct PID setup for auto transmission temperature? I setup mine through the torque pro using PIDs at some folks at this forum, but the numbers are weird (inaccurate) for the most part...
Just saw you are in Canada. Could well be a metric problem; our temps are in F.

A quick Google found these. Notice the first one subtracts 32 and multiples by 5/9.. seem to recall that converts F to C:
(((((E*256)+F) * (7/100) – 400)/10) – 32) * (5/9) – for output in C

((((E*256)+F) * (7/100) – 400)/10) – for output in F

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts