Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2015 Limited Parking Brake.

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Rav4system3 
#1 ·
Where is the adjustment located at. My wife's Rav PB is getting to the point I have to really pull it high to get it to set completely.
Only 25000 miles on it.

#2 ·
I have a 15 LE AWD and have the same experience. Have to pull the thing almost out of the console for it to sufficiently grab. It has done that since day one (I have around 5500km on mine). It must be a simple adjustment that the dealer (or owner) can do, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

#4 ·
Same problem. '15 AWD Limited, 27k miles. On flat, it hold well enough, but on even the slightest grade, such as my driveway, it won't hold unless I really muscle the thing up. I'll ask about adjusting it when I go in for my 30k oil change.

#7 ·
I should have followed up on my 2016 posting...sometime in 2017 I believe, I dealt with this but it was a strange outcome. I took it to the dealer and explained the situation and he tightened it up. It was a lot better and you only had to pull it up a reasonable distance for it to hold.

Down the road, at some point, maybe weeks or months later, I was driving down a quiet road and could hear a kind of "shush, shush, shush" sound coming for the rear wheel area. Dealer checked it out and he had tightened the brake too much. Once they loosened it the sound went away but the emerg brake has to, again, be pulled up pretty decisively to hold. It does hold though. I guess it's just the way these 15's are. I would take it in and have them try tightening it (if you already haven't) but just mention not to tighten too much. I realize you may have a looser brake than mine was though.

#9 ·
According to page 9-16 in the Haynes manual, the center console rear box has to be removed in order to adjust the parking brake. then you will see an adjusting nut and locknut. Adjust for 6 to 9 clicks when pulling the PB handle with moderate force.

#10 ·
Anybody check if the 'drum' brake needs an adjustment? Even though we have 4 wheel disc brakes, the parking brake is the 'old fashioned' drum brake design. There is a way to adjust the drum brake mechanism with a screwdriver but you have to take the wheels off to do that. Do a search for YouTube videos regarding RAV4 brake jobs.:wink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.