Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a 2015 Limited to replace my Mazda CX5 that I rolled last weekend (and walked away unhurt from luckily). I was actually going to buy a Tacoma to replace it in order to haul building supplies (a few 2x4s and such), but figured I could use the roof rack and the folded down back seats of a Rav4 instead.

Can the electric tailgate be closed partially? By that I mean that with my Mazda CX5, I used bungee cords to hold the tailgate down when hauling long boards that stuck out the back. Does the electronic tailgate stop where I want it to or is that a bad idea to use it that way? Would I still need to use bungee cords to secure the hatch?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, it is a bad idea . . . a very bad idea. The vortex behind the RAV when it is moving will cause exhaust gasses into the cabin with a hatch partially open. Not a good idea if you are looking forward to a long and healthy life. Use the roof rack with crossbars, or a different vehicle.

Reactions: PatRav4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't worried about the health "benefits" of the hatch being open as much as if it would goof up the electronic hatch mechanism. And it would be convenient to be able to lower it till it touched the wood hanging out and have it stay there without bungee cords. Also, I've found that opening the front windows pretty much mitigates the fumes from the back. Usually short distances anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
I've hauled an oversize load inside with the hatch partially open, I put it in manual mode with the button in the glove box, lowered the hatch as far as it would go against the cargo, then put a bungee hook in the latch and locked it and secured the other end of the bungee around the hitch ball mount. Worked fine, drove with the side windows down for just a few miles, I wouldn't want to drive far with the hatch open tho.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Ya... The exhaust issue is going to be a problem on any SUV if the hatch is left partially open, so this "not a good idea" does not apply only to the Rav. No SUV should be driven with the liftgate open.
Remember that CO is colorless and odorless. Your first indication of toxicity will be when you pass out.

IF this is a regular thing for work, rather than just "home/hobby", I would seriously go with the Tacoma DoubleCab.

The liftgate has the ability to be set to how far it will stop open to allow for shorter/taller people to be able to reach the button, but "closed" is always going to be all the way down.
It supposedly has a safety mechanism that when it closes on something, as Junebug mentioned, like a garage door it is supposed to re-open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the helpful posts. That was the kind of thing I was afraid might happen. Would be nice if you could just let it go down till it touches then turn it off, I did see that there is a manual button in the glove box to turn the motor off. I only drive that way occasionally if i need some wood for renovating the house or a furniture project. Not something I'd do every day.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you want to drive with your tailgate partially open then you had better drive with your driver or passenger side front window opened partially as well. :wink

Reactions: PatRav4

·
Registered
499 Posts
Having the front windows open draws air in the rear hatch and expels it out the windows. If you want to avoid getting a car full of dust and exhaust gasses, keep the windows closed and run the heater fan full speed. This brings fresh filtered air in through the ventilation system and expels it through the hatch opening. It helps to minimize the amount the hatch is open. My brother used to stuff folded up towels in the hatch opening to help keep out the exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts