Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say that the tire pressure warning light is not used with the temporary, 60 Psi spare. Only with the full size spare, per the dealer.
My manual shows and the Toyota Rep said to press the reset button below and to the right of the steering wheel. My dealer finally checked and agreed the button was not there. When I start the car, tires cold, the warning light blinks 3 or more times, then stays on. I have no button to press.
The dealer wants me to bring the car in and wait 2-3 hours while they check it out. I've been there 3 times this week...the third time to pick up the Toyota logo they forgot to put back on my wheel. They did install a new sensor in the replacement tire as the original broke while replacing the tire.
Can one of those diagnostic tools tell if all the sensors are working?
I will recheck all the tire pressures. One last thing, In the manual, the recommended PSI is 32, but the dealer put 35Psi in the new tire and askedasked me if I had 35 Psi in all the tires. I got it down to 32 Psi. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
First, let me say that the tire pressure warning light is not used with the temporary, 60 Psi spare. Only with the full size spare, per the dealer.
My manual shows and the Toyota Rep said to press the reset button below and to the right of the steering wheel. My dealer finally checked and agreed the button was not there. When I start the car, tires cold, the warning light blinks 3 or more times, then stays on. I have no button to press.
The dealer wants me to bring the car in and wait 2-3 hours while they check it out. I've been there 3 times this week...the third time to pick up the Toyota logo they forgot to put back on my wheel. They did install a new sensor in the replacement tire as the original broke while replacing the tire.
Can one of those diagnostic tools tell if all the sensors are working?
I will recheck all the tire pressures. One last thing, In the manual, the recommended PSI is 32, but the dealer put 35Psi in the new tire and askedasked me if I had 35 Psi in all the tires. I got it down to 32 Psi. Am I missing something here?
You had me confused for a minute about the temp spare until it dawned on me that you have a 2015. Someone will probably move your post to the 4th Gen area.
I will give my opinion however, about tire pressures. Yes, the factory recommends 32 as a good compromise between ride, handling and wear, but many people have discovered the benefits of running a few more pounds in their tires. Longer wear and better handling are among them. I think you would like the "feel" of 35 pounds. I run 36 in mine.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The location of the reset button is detailed in the manual, and its right where they say it is. Doesn't surprise me that the dealer couldn't find it.
That said it sounds like there may be some other issue, like a bad sensor. They can tell that right away with a laptop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just bought a 2015 with the sticker saying "32". The dealership had the front ones at 35, and the rear at 37. I reduced the rear to 35. I'd like to know what they have been set up for the last 3 years. I also noticed a sticker that says "Modifications to this vehicle have reduced the original load carrying capacity by 23 lbs". What's that about?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also noticed a sticker that says "Modifications to this vehicle have reduced the original load carrying capacity by 23 lbs". What's that about?
I have that sticker also on my 2016. I'm thinking it must be related to something that was added or changed at the dock on importing, but I'd love to know what it was.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have that sticker also on my 2016. I'm thinking it must be related to something that was added or changed at the dock on importing, but I'd love to know what it was.
I have the same sticker on my 2016 Limited hybrid and also had one on my 2010 Highlander. It can be anything from adding carpeted mats in the front/rear seat areas and cargo area or adding roof rail crossbars etc. I have been told it is a federal regulation that has to be applied on all vehicles that have options added after the vehicle is manufactured. Nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
I just bought a 2015 with the sticker saying "32". The dealership had the front ones at 35, and the rear at 37. I reduced the rear to 35. I'd like to know what they have been set up for the last 3 years. I also noticed a sticker that says "Modifications to this vehicle have reduced the original load carrying capacity by 23 lbs". What's that about?
Search is your friend!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2010/RCONL-10V035-0123.pdf

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Found that general information online. Now looking for detail specific to my vehicle. But not real diligently.

How about the tire pressure discussion?

How do y'all set yours?

Mine were set to 35 front and 37 rear with the recommendation being 32 front and rear.
I've seen in discussions where some folks set their front higher, or all 4 higher.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
I ran 32psi all around in my '15 Ltd gas model due to the hard ride on the low profile OEM 18"s, but I run 38psi all around in my '16 Ltd HV with the same 18"s, still rides much nicer than the '15 Ltd. Good tires will make a big difference over most of the cheap OEM tires.

I think you'll find that accessories added at the port like roof cross bars and other accessories the dealer adds like floor mats are the reason for the label, any thing that's not included in the base weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't mind the rougher ride if I get better wear and safer handling.
I guess you never replaced the tires on your 15 before you got the 16?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts