Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In April we purchased a 2015 RAV4 Limited with factory navigation. I just opened a case with Toyota, the Navigation system sucks. It has repeatly wanted to send us in the wrong direction, we don't trust it, does anyone know whose software they are using? The Nav works fine just cruising down the road, just don't ask directions. It couldn't find O'Hare while we are driving north on the Tri-State. Last week it couldn't find a hotel near Grand Rapids, MI, it suggested a turn in the exact opposite direction.
Anyone else have similar problems? I have requested they remove it and give me the $$ I paid for the thing, I'll continue to use my iPhone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In April we purchased a 2015 RAV4 Limited with factory navigation. I just opened a case with Toyota, the Navigation system sucks. It has repeatly wanted to send us in the wrong direction, we don't trust it, does anyone know whose software they are using? The Nav works fine just cruising down the road, just don't ask directions. It couldn't find O'Hare while we are driving north on the Tri-State. Last week it couldn't find a hotel near Grand Rapids, MI, it suggested a turn in the exact opposite direction.
Anyone else have similar problems? I have requested they remove it and give me the $$ I paid for the thing, I'll continue to use my iPhone.

I am sorry you are having issues with the navigation system. Each brand (Garman, TomTom, Toyota) will have features that the others will not. Passed this, I do not agree that the system in the RAV4 is of no use. I have driven about 4000 miles over 6 months in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama. I have never had the system take me anyplace wrong. Much of the drive has been in rural areas where I might expect the system not to know exact locations - but it did.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I own a couple of Garmin (as well as iPhone GPSs) and I think that the routing algorithm of the Toyota Nav is superior. Garmin (and yes, I know the settings) especially has some quirky routes. I also love how the Toyota Nav shows me the exact direction I need to travel from the start. Garmins are confused until you start driving, often needing to correct you as you start off in the wrong direction. The Toyota Nav even directs you perfectly out of a parking lot.

What I don't like about the Toyota system is the traffic announcements ("there's traffic ahead") sometimes when you're already in the traffic jam and without giving specifics, like causes and distances. You have to go all the way into the Traffic App to get the traffic overview and more traffic specifics for your route. I also don't like how you can't immediately see the route overview with one tap. Instead, you have to tap on three buttons just to get to the turn by turn overview.

Otherwise, I much prefer it to Garmin. Even the woman's voice is nicer - more soothing and not angry as it is with Garmin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Apparently there is a big difference between using the nav in the U.S.A in comparison to Canada, the rav4 is the worst i have ever used, i am in the process of ordering another from Ebay, one of those android systems so i can use whatever nav i want. Toyota failed miserably for Nav in my area anyhow.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Mine works fine in Canada. It's not great, but no built in automotive nav I've ever used is.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine works fine in Canada. It's not great, but no built in automotive nav I've ever used is.
It would be much better if they had an up-to-date database! I bought mine in May 2014 and drove to Ontario in July. The nav system did not know at least 2 major highways existed that I know were there more than 2 years prior.

Of course you can always pay to have it updated.....no thanks I will use my Garmin with lifetime free updates.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It would be much better if they had an up-to-date database! I bought mine in May 2014 and drove to Ontario in July. The nav system did not know at least 2 major highways existed that I know were there more than 2 years prior.

Of course you can always pay to have it updated.....no thanks I will use my Garmin with lifetime free updates.
Yeah, that pisses me off. Updates should be free. You can buy a $100 garmin with free updates, or a $1000+ sub par system in a car and pay $100+ for each update. I'm never getting nav in a vehicle again if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just going by my Lexus navigator because I haven't had the RAV long enough to use its nav. The absolute worst 'feature' of the Toyota/Lexus navigators is that you can't use them when the vehicle is in motion. It's understandable why they did that, but its still a pia. Whenever going on a trip, the Garmin is always attached to the lower left corner of the windshield. The Toyota/Lexus navigator only serves as a verification of what Garmin thinks is the best way to go, (this is for interstate trips).

The one feature of the Toyota/Lexus navigator that I do like is the ability to show three routes, then lets you choose one of them. That's nice. Otherwise . . . junk!

- - - - -

I'm wondering. Has anyone popped the SD-ROM chip out and put it into a computer to see what the format of the data is? I know with a Garmin, you can use public domain maps, for example, on a trip to Mexico. My Garmin does not have free updates, (purchased a model specifically because it has built-in European maps). For stateside, I use OpenStreetMap data to keep up to date.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2014 RAV4 xle... My nav never had any issues.. I made couple of trips to ohare multiple times, travelled couple of times to WI, MI, CO and TN and it had no issues navigating.

But when I got the car I had trouble operating because I previously had Tom Tom. It had little learning curve. Did you go through nav operating manual?

24k miles in last 1yr 2months.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just going by my Lexus navigator because I haven't had the RAV long enough to use its nav. The absolute worst 'feature' of the Toyota/Lexus navigators is that you can't use them when the vehicle is in motion. It's understandable why they did that, but its still a pia.
I hear ya, but, you can use voice recognition on the navigator while the car is in motion, and some POIs are accessible while driving, like gas and others I can't think of right now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I hear ya, but, you can use voice recognition on the navigator while the car is in motion, and some POIs are accessible while driving, like gas and others I can't think of right now.
Really! That would be most useful. One of the most frequent things I do when on interstate trips is when I'm in the middle of nowhere, I'll go through the menu on the Garmin and punch in "Costco". That's where I usually purchase my gasoline. I realize that it is junk gasoline, but hasn't killed my cars yet and the price is right, in addition to getting cash back at the end of the year.

It is sort of dangerous to type in the name while I'm zooming down the interstate, albeit at the maximum posted speed limit. It would be really convenient to just say, "Siri, where is the nearest Costco". (Or whatever we nickname out RAV navigator lady.)

Reactions: RobLTD

·
Registered
137 Posts
Really! That would be most useful. One of the most frequent things I do when on interstate trips is when I'm in the middle of nowhere, I'll go through the menu on the Garmin and punch in "Costco". That's where I usually purchase my gasoline. I realize that it is junk gasoline, but hasn't killed my cars yet and the price is right, in addition to getting cash back at the end of the year.

It is sort of dangerous to type in the name while I'm zooming down the interstate, albeit at the maximum posted speed limit. It would be really convenient to just say, "Siri, where is the nearest Costco". (Or whatever we nickname out RAV navigator lady.)
Yes, voice recognition is helpful while the car is in motion, and you can still keep your eyes on the road. I'm assuming you have voice recognition on your RAV as well? And, like I said, you can still access some POIs like gas, via the touch screen if you wish (I admit that I still do). I'll check it out later this morning to see what other POIs are accessible via the touch screen while the RAV is moving.

I get Costco gas as well (when I can). FYI, it's considered "top tier" gas, so it supposedly has higher standards than most other brands! Here's a link to the list of all top tier gasoline retailers. Notice Costco:

Top Tier Gasoline

·
Registered
424 Posts
"Top Tier"? I wonder about that list when they list Arco as Top Tier. A long way back, I had my Yugoslavian VW mechanic really give me a bad time because I put Arco gas in my VW bus. He was a great mechanic, (yes, it was still Yugoslavia back then). Also, you have to wonder about any gasoline tanker that is unmarked. Still, the cost is pretty good and I've never had a problem. It's nice that the Costco to where I will be moving next year upon retirement has a diesel pump.

Yes, I have the voice recog., but haven't used it yet. Car is till pretty new, (two weeks). Got the Limited with a bunch of 'bells and whistles'. It's my 'retirement car'. The AWD will come in useful during the winters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts