Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to attempt to do a oil change at home for the first time on my 2015 Rav4. Any tips I need to know. Also conventional or synthetic? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As for oil, the owner's manual specs out 0W-20, which I believe is only available as a synthetic.

I recommend you invest $25 and purchase the correct oil filter wrench to prevent damaging the plastic oil filter housing (I purchased the Motivx product). Others have replaced their plastic housing with an aluminum one for about the same price. Plenty of info on these two options within the forum. Either way, mind the tightening torques!

Oh, and the owner's manual specs out the oil capacity (with filter) as 4.6 quarts. Mine takes exactly 5 quarts to fill it up. Silly Toyota.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought the Motivx and wrench and it works great. I don't have to worry about the plastic housing.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Going to attempt to do a oil change at home for the first time on my 2015 Rav4. Any tips I need to know. Also conventional or synthetic? Thanks for any input.
I use
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt. and I get it at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-20-Advanced-Fuel-Economy-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt./17034374

Mobil 1 has a rebate of $12 per 5 quart jug (limit 2) until MAY31,2017.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/up-to-15-dollars-off-with-mobil-1-and-mobil-super

I like to get separate receipts for each jug and make 2 submissions. I just got my rebates back in about 8 weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the response everyone. I did the oil change myself and it was quite easy. I didn't even have to jack the Rav4 up. How many miles with synthetic oil can I go before I have to change it again? I'm guessing it would be the 5000 mile mark?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I change my own oil with Mobil 1 OW-20 which I buy from Walmart. I change it every 7,000 miles along with the filter. My feeling is 10,000 is too long even though Toyota says it's fine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
...........How many miles with synthetic oil can I go before I have to change it again? I'm guessing it would be the 5000 mile mark?
I change mine out at 5k. If you at least go by the manual you are covered.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I change my own oil with Mobil 1 OW-20 which I buy from Walmart. I change it every 7,000 miles along with the filter. My feeling is 10,000 is too long even though Toyota says it's fine.
A multitude of used oil analyses--hard science--also say a 10,000 mile oil change interval is just fine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
1) Get the proper oil filter tool
2) Remove the clip
3) Replace the fiber washer
4) Use Toyota Original filters (seriously don't try save money on filters and a lot of after market filters are crap)
5) Use a torque wrench to torque the filter to 18 ft/lbs.
6) Replace the clip
7) Use synthetic oil

***** Do not over tighten or you will have a hell of a time taking it off next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Rav4 2015 LE has 17500 miles (I don't drive much) so do I need to change oil every six month or I can wait longer (I drive 300-500 miles /month)? I always change oil from the dealer (and they recommend every 6 month while using synthetic oil) but now thinking to do it my self.

Please advice? Also please forgive me if this is off-topic question in an old post.

Thank you

·
Registered
129 Posts
I go by miles

I do my oil change on the basis of miles but I use fewer miles for cars I drive infrequently.

For example, my Rav4 I change every 6 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. I drive my Tundra about 7,000 miles per year and I change the oil yearly.

I always use synthetic and always change the filter. I also use Toyota filters because I figure they know what the engine needs.

If you are going to do it yourself get spare oil plug washers. If you have a "canister style" filter (like the 2017s have) you need will need a special tool to remove the canister. Torque to 18 foot pounds MAX (IIRC) or you'll have a hell of a time getting it off in the future. I also make sure i have extra canister "clips" just in case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts