Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, but the rear-view camera just doesn't make up for the very poor rear view design on the 2015 Rav4, and is making me regret giving up my '97 Rav4 foir this new 2015 model. The rear window itself is ridiculously small and squat. The wiper clears but a tiny semicircle of the already small window. To top it off, the rear-seat headrests obscure the physical rear view in the mirror and when I physically turn around to look. Since I rarely carry passengers, I've taken to just leaving the rear seat headrests off. Doesn't anybody in the design/engineering team check this stuff out? Surely I can't be the only person complaining about this. :frown

P.S. - the rear-view camera gets obscured or blurred far too easily from weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've never personally had any problem with it at all actually. I always leave my center headrest off and fold the other two forward. Rearward visibility isn't bad that way and the backup camera covers the rest. Not an issue for me anyway.
The rav is actually much better than some of the other new SUVs out there IMO.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've never personally had any problem with it at all actually. I always leave my center headrest off and fold the other two forward. Rearward visibility isn't bad that way and the backup camera covers the rest. Not an issue for me anyway.
The rav is actually much better than some of the other new SUVs out there IMO.
I am not having a problem either, and I back up alot. Is it easy compare to car or more window space on suv, probably not. But the more you back into things, for me the easier it is. Not a huge issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am sure happy with rear visibility and very very happy with front visibility. Was driving friends Altima and BMW 5-Series as he broke his knee and I had to drive him around, had a lot of difference when I came back to Rav 4 and sure was happy.

I agree about camera dust and rain drop collection though.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
I wonder if a little Rain-X on the camera lens would let the water roll off and not bead up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks all. I'll have to try and drive some other cars to learn to appreciate what I've got!
I can appreciate the concern. I made the mistake of driving a Subaru Forester first. That thing felt like a fishbowl from the inside (of course it also had the panoramic moonroof) - fantastic visibility. I wasn't willing to buy the Subaru but it did make the Rav4 seem lacking in that aspect. Sometimes we're skewed in perspective. Some complain the Rav4 doesn't get fast enough as quickly as it should, but I recently took a vacation in a Dodge that was genuinely a safety concern getting on to freeways. In comparison this thing is zippy. (On the other hand, I drove an older V6 Rav4, so sadly I know it's really not. That recent trip, however, is so fresh in my mind when I read the complaints that I chuckle. It also nearly got me squashed when using cruise control, so the Rav4 impresses me with its responsiveness for general cruise control.)

I hope you can adjust. I also feel like the rear window is puny, and when I've depended on the wiper I laugh at the tiny little moon of visibility. Overall, though, I'm getting used to what I can see and finding it's enough. I don't feel I have a heinous blind spot or inability to determine what's going on around me. It's been an adjustment for me, though.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the only thing i use my backup camera for is close in parking (like parallel or when i need to get close to something)...when i am backing into a parking spot or something like that i use my mirrors...just about the only time i ever look over my should is when changing lanes while driving...many vehicles i have driven dont even have a back window to look out...perhaps you should completely cover the rear window and live without it for a while...that would sharpen your skills and make you more aware of your other viewing options...

·
Registered
17 Posts
...But the more you back into things, for me the easier it is. Not a huge issue.
:surprise I thought the rear-view camera should prevent this! :laugh:laugh

I don't have much problems seeing around the sides and back thanks to all mirrors.
Camera is helpful when parking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
LuckiestLiz-Why weren't you willing to buy the Forester?
migdalorguy-I was concerned about that tiny wiper, but the semicircle seems to clear, almost exactly, the road behind me.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
LuckiestLiz-Why weren't you willing to buy the Forester?
migdalorguy-I was concerned about that tiny wiper, but the semicircle seems to clear, almost exactly, the road behind me.
Good luck getting a reply, they haven't been online for over 2 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts