Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Rav4 FWD

What service should be done at 30,000 miles? Required service is oil and filter change, and air filters, plus about 20 inspections. Dealer says the recommended service should include changing transmission fluid and coolant (drain/fill), replacing spark plugs, and retorquing body bolts. Should all the recommended items be done now?

When should changing transmission fluid, etc. be done, if not at 30K miles?

·
Registered
59 Posts
2015 Rav4 FWD

What service should be done at 30,000 miles? Required service is oil and filter change, and air filters, plus about 20 inspections. Dealer says the recommended service should include changing transmission fluid and coolant (drain/fill), replacing spark plugs, and retorquing body bolts. Should all the recommended items be done now?

I would simply use the Owners Manual as a guide.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I remember right, the spark plugs in the 2015 are good for 100k miles (correct me if I am wrong). The transmission fluid should be good for the life of the vehicle (maybe change at 100k) and coolant should still have quite some life left in. I agree with Markus though, just follow the owners manual and only have the dealer do what is in there. If they try to upsell you on anything else, just stick to that manual.

Here is the maintenance manual (page 41): https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-15RAV4/pdf/2015_Toyota_RAV4_WMG.pdf

Reactions: caliblue

·
Registered
294 Posts
2015 Rav4 FWD

The dealer is looking to up-sell on unsuspected customers. Listed below is what came out of the 2014 manual under normal operating conditions. Coolant good till 100k. Spark Plugs good till 120k. Check your Warranty & Maintenance Guide and look over what each service calls for.

30,000 miles or 36 months:
-Check installation of driver’s floor mat
-Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
-Inspect wiper blades
-Replace cabin air filter
-Replace engine air filter
-Replace engine oil and oil filter
-Rotate tires

Plus all the inspections.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Dealer says the recommended service should include changing transmission fluid and coolant (drain/fill), replacing spark plugs, and retorquing body bolts.
Yep, the old upsell again! A few words are missing. Should say their management's recommended service if they can pull it off .... with the goal of draining w/o refilling your wallet while nothing but a girl in the office checking off a bunch of boxes is actually done.

It would be interesting to hear the total charge for these phantom "services" especially the labor to "retorque the body bolts." Never had that done on my '06 with nearly 130,000 miles. Guess I better check the driveway to make sure it hasn't fallen apart!

Reactions: caliblue

·
Registered
54 Posts
2015 Rav4 FWD

Agree what others have said., go by the manual..Also, I'd never let the dealer change my engine or cabin filters..There dirt cheap at most auto stores compared to what the dealer will charge you...Its cost PLUS labor and that can add up to big bucks...AND, there so easy to change yourself...Good luck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, the full "recommended" service is about $400 at the dealer. Crazy.

When I called the dealer back to schedule the "required" service they didn't know what that was. I told them specifically what was in the manual and they said that was wrong. Go figure. Guess I'll be taking it elsewhere for service.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually, if a person is handy, they could do everything themselves except maybe changing the transmission fluid. Supposedly need special tools to do that job.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yep, the full "recommended" service is about $400 at the dealer. Crazy.

When I called the dealer back to schedule the "required" service they didn't know what that was. I told them specifically what was in the manual and they said that was wrong. Go figure. Guess I'll be taking it elsewhere for service.
Good idea. If they want to pull something like this on you imagine what they may do to your vehicle when it's in the shop. Kinda scary. :(

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Good idea. If they want to pull something like this on you imagine what they may do to your vehicle when it's in the shop. Kinda scary. :(
Yeah, the good news is that other than changing the engine oil most of the "work" would be done by the girl in the office who checks off all the "done" boxes w/o touching the car.

In reality since none of my vehicles visit their dealers for "recommended" service, I don't know how its done these days. Maybe the computer spits out an "all work completed" report ASA the car gets there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts