Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was rear ended in her 2015 Rav4 with 10,000 miles on.. There was in excess of $14,000 worth of rear end damage. My opinion is the car should have been totaled but the insurance company decided to fix it. Got the car back from the body shop and it looks great however when driving it feels like you are moving over a steel grate bridge and the back end is rolling over the grates trying to find traction. Seems like the car body is swaying.. Any ideas would be appreciated..

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Absolutely should have been totaled. Take it back and refuse to accept it till that is sorted out. Or, get a lawyer. At least it should be evaluated by a Toyota dealer who was not involved in the repairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, First time we got it back the steering wheel was out of alignment. That was fixed. I just drove the car for the 1st time yesterday and immediately noticed this sway problem... I guess the 1st step is to allow the body shop to see if they can correct... I have a feeling the damage was so great, its just not fixable to the state the car was in before the crash.. 2nd step, take it to toyota for evaluation to see what they say and then turn the case over to my brother the lawyer.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sure sounds like drive line damage, which a body shop has no expertise in diagnosing or repairing.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
Sounds to me like they either didn't align the rear wheels, or did a poor job, each rear wheel is trying to follow it's track, only it's not the same as the other wheels, so they hunt back and forth. It needs a four wheel alignment, they also may not have been able to get it aligned due to unrepaired/irreparable damage.

Tire Tech Information - Alignment

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like you may have a bent unibody frame. Have the frame checked. Unfortunately, usually when today's frames get wacked out of alignment, they are never the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts