Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there are empty fuses? I plan on hardwire my dashcam to the fuse. I prefer to use an empty space but will use an existing fuse if I have to. Also not sure if my alarm/starter is grounded near by but can I use the same bolt as a ground if it is?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I attempted to hardwire my dashcam to the fuse box today...attempted because I was unable to get to the fusebox at all! The thing is soooo tiny and it's in the worst possible location. You gotta have very tiny hands to reach it....grrrr

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
So I attempted to hardwire my dashcam to the fuse box today...attempted because I was unable to get to the fusebox at all! The thing is soooo tiny and it's in the worst possible location. You gotta have very tiny hands to reach it....grrrr
Be careful!! My dashcam runs on 5 volts, not 12! If yours is similar, you will fry it by connecting directly to 12 volts. You must have the adapter or a 12v->5v converter inline.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
If you have a moonroof, you can tap into switched DC at the control box without having to run under the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Will park mode work with that?
I don't know what you mean by "park mode"

The moon roof control box has a ground, constant 12v, and switched 12v.

I tapped into the switched 12v for my wife's dash cam and for her self-dimming mirror.

The dash cam runs through its own power supply. Power is switched on and off with the ignition.
If the engine is running, or the key is in any position that allows the moon roof to operate, the camera is running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts