Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 RAV4, FWD (XLE) still under warranty. The ABS and VSC lights were on and the dealership detected that the harness for the ABS Sensor was chewed through by a rodent. Need to replace the RF speed sensor and harness, according to the dealership.

The dealership wants $587 to do this. This sounds a bit high to me.

Wanted to see if 1) anyone has had this replaced and what the cost was and 2) if anyone knows how feasible it would be to do this myself once I get the right parts. In other words, is the sensor fairly easy to access in the wheel well?

Any insight or information would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
143 Posts
Without seeing the harness and where it was chewed through its hard to say but if it was me I would try to reconstruct the harness by soldering in new sections of wire and covering with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. I'm the cost is high because of the size of harness and the labor involved to replace. For $600 I would give it go myself first.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have a 2015 RAV4, FWD (XLE) still under warranty. The ABS and VSC lights were on and the dealership detected that the harness for the ABS Sensor was chewed through by a rodent. Need to replace the RF speed sensor and harness, according to the dealership.

Wanted to see if 1) anyone has had this replaced and what the cost was and 2) if anyone knows how feasible it would be to do this myself once I get the right parts. In other words, is the sensor fairly easy to access in the wheel well?

Thank you
Take a picture of it so you will know how far up it chewed. You will then know if its something to get buy a DIY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thank you
Attached is an image the dealership took.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Attached is an image the dealership took.
Not the best picture but from what I can see it definitely looks repairable. If I was doing it I would remove some of harness jacket to expose a little more of the damaged conductors, repair each conductor one at a time by soldering in new section of wire and covering each solder connection with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing(you put silicone around solder connection prior to shrinking tubing), after all connections are reattached wrap harness in repaired section.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had a lot of problems with rodents. Somewhere hear I posted my procedure to "mouse proof" the interior.

The hard part is finding the damaged wire. When the wife's ABS went, it was under the drivers seat.

Get the dealer to tell you exactly whee the damage is. Get a soldering iron, flux core solder, heat shrink tubing and an assortment of wires if you need them.

Strip back the cable an inch each side put thick shrink wrap on the cable. Cut short pieces of thin shrink wrap on each cut wire. Strip and solder each wire and heat up the tube. Rise and repeat.

The dealer will probably replace the cable and they are expensive as hell. Depending on how good you are at soldering it take an hour or two. Definitely better than $600

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would either splice that wire myself if you know what to do or find someone who can solder. Its not a hard job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts