Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago my beloved RAV4 was involved in a rear end collison while parked in the yard. A Ford Explorer traveling at about 45-50 mph clipped it and I watched it unfold. All of the lights still work and it?s still completely drivable like nothing ever happened. I just can?t open the lift gate. Any ideas of repair or non repair? I have included pictures for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The person who struck your RAV (How they could do that while it was parked in your yard is somewhat baffling!) should be responsible and have to pay for the repairs. That's enough damage to be expensive to fix. Suggest that you take your RAV to a good body shop and get an estimate.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
This happened a month ago and you haven't spoken to your (or their) insurance company?
There must be more to this, something isn't right.

By the way only picture #1 comes up for me. The other two don't open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the time we never knew this was still usable, insurance wrote it off as totaled. The car was never towed because the incident happened on private property. If it?s worth mentioning, the other party had no insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you were wondering how the incident occurred, I had the RAV parked adjacent to the house and the street was on the left driver side of the car. Someone lost control and slammed into the RAV.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
I'm confused.......are you considering repairing it then????????? Get three estimates to see if it's worth even trying.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the insurance paid off why didn't they take it?
Talk to a dealer they may take in in trade (lots of parts they can use). You could part it out.
Even after YOU get it fixed you will still have a used 2015 that was in a wreak (less then the $ used price) Been their done that, wont do it again, loss too much $$$$.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
If the insurance paid off why didn't they take it?
It depends on the company.

AAA (in SoCal) pays the value less salvage value and leaves it up to the owner to salvage (or attempt a repair). Since the title doesn't transfer, it is not "branded" as a salvage title if the owner repairs it.
If the owner decides to salvage it and the salvage offer is below AAA's estimate, then a claim is filed with proof of salvage payment and they pay the difference.

Farmers writes a check and takes the vehicle. The owner may buy it back for the salvage value, but the title will be "branded"

Given the location and severity of the damage, I would suspect that the rear wheels are no longer properly aligned. Keep an eye out for tire wear (that corner or the other 3). CUVs and many small SUVs no longer have a frame, so a major body hit is often an automatic "total" by the insurance companies, as these are extremely difficult and expensive to repair properly.

Your problem with being unable to open the lift gate is likely because the rear pillars and roof are twisted, locking the gate in place. If you are successful in getting it opened, you will probably never get it closed again.
If you want to continue to use it as a beater, bust out the rear window and fashion a "hatch" out of Lexan and hardware store parts.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
if you were wondering how the incident occurred, I had the RAV parked adjacent to the house and the street was on the left driver side of the car. Someone lost control and slammed into the RAV.
Look closely... your rim is bent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts