Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an appt at Toyota where my 2013 xle was kept over night. The dealership provided a 2015 RAV4 LE..... I can't believe how different it drives. The tranny feels different and the ride feels more like a small truck than a car ....... Any feedback on the differences in build. This could all be perceived as it is brand new vs. 1.5 years old with 24000 miles. Thoughts?

·
Registered
757 Posts
The only significant difference between early 2013 and later models is that Toyota corrected the structural design issue that gave early 2013 RAV's POOR scope in the small overlap crash test performed by IIHS.

Reasons why the loaner may feel different:

- Transmission: The transmission "learns" your driving style. It takes several driving cycles for the transmission to learn how you drive.

- Ride: Different tires and/or inflation pressure. Also, 24k miles do make shock absorbers softer - it's just normal wear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a way to make the transmission "unlearn". I really like the different feel of the tranny. Regarding the tires.... There is a significant difference. Dunlop on the 13. Vs. conticontact on the 15

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only significant difference between early 2013 and later models is that Toyota corrected the structural design issue that gave early 2013 RAV's POOR scope in the small overlap crash test performed by IIHS.

Reasons why the loaner may feel different:

- Transmission: The transmission "learns" your driving style. It takes several driving cycles for the transmission to learn how you drive.

- Ride: Different tires and/or inflation pressure. Also, 24k miles do make shock absorbers softer - it's just normal wear.

I have a different question. I have seen in several posts on this forum that says the transmission "learns" over time. I have not seen this information in any official Toyota document. Can you point me to some documentation regarding this function.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have a different question. I have seen in several posts on this forum that says the transmission "learns" over time. I have not seen this information in any official Toyota document. Can you point me to some documentation regarding this function.
If you Google "toyota transmission artificial intelligence" you will probably find at least a dozen of references to the AI capabilities of Toyota automatic transmission ECU.

Here is just one example from an Australian Toyota dealer
New Toyota Rav4 for sale in North Brisbane - Torque Toyota
About half-way down the page you will find references to AI shift control.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) shift control

RAV4's 6-Speed automatic transmission incorporates Artificial Intelligence (AI) Shift Control, which senses road conditions and driver intentions and optimises shift patterns accordingly. This helps to make RAV4 more responsive and smoother to drive on changeable terrain.
The AI program of the ECU actually "remembers" the conditions from several past driving cycles (road conditions and drivers behavior) and uses this information to anticipate shift points. It basically assumes that the current road conditions (flat vs. inclines, slow-speed city driving vs. high-speed highway) and that the driver's behavior such as rate of acceleration ("leadfoot" vs. "old granny") will be the same as in the past few cycles. If the road conditions and driver's behavior are significantly different, the ECU will re-learn the new parameters after a few driving cycles.

If I have time later today I will try to find more technical description in the Toyota documents I have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts