Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started my car and couldn't go into gear once I start the car on.

The dashboard has lights, the lights inside cars works, front back back headlight works. The clock, radio, gear lights are turned off and I couldn't find anything on this forums for like 30 mins.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Try straightening the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Today I started my car and couldn't go into gear once I start the car on..
Not sure if you mean that you can't move the gear selector from PARK into any other position, or you mean that the car won't go into gear when the selector is moved (i.e. the engine just revs up and the RAV won't move).

Assuming the problem is that you can't move the shifter from the park position, then these instructions from the owners manual may help. If this solution helps then check that your brake lights come on when you press on the brake pedal. You may have a blown fuse.

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
A little more explanation on Rick's post:

As a safety feature the shift lever is locked in Park until the brake pedal is pushed. Then both the brake lights come on and an electrical solenoid releases the shift lever. If the solenoid fails to release you need to use the emergency procedure he referred to from the owner's manual.

But this also probably means the brake lights aren't working either and that's likely due to a blown fuse. About the only thing I can think of that would cause that is a short in trailer connector wiring.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had to replace the brake switch on my neighbors car when a similar problem occurred when she could not shift into Park and could not remove the key. This was not a Toyota. Have someone see if the brake lights work. If they don't, it is the fuse or the brake switch.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 20143 miles

·
Registered
160 Posts
It could be a safety precaution that is trying to get your attention, I had a venza 09 that started doing that then got a letter on the mail about a recall was issued, neighbors Kia was the same had several recalls pending. Take it to the dealer asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
why confused? can't it be towed ?

In my case it was stuck in park but was able to get into D depressing the shift lock override.
It's a 4WD so it would have to be flatbed towed thus getting it out of Park first would be mandatory. If it takes the override that's the first step. Then drive it to Toyota to find out what happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts