Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 RAV4 XLE AWD with 2000km on it. I noticed a whistling noise a few days back when I was accelerating from 70 to 80km/h. I can also hear the noise when the car runs at above 100km/h. Brought it in for a check up but the technician said he didn't hear anything abnormal. Drove another RAV4 at the dealership and heard the same noise. So I guess it's not just my car. I'm just wondering if anybody has the same issue?

I just posted a video that I took on Youtube to demonstrate the noise. Here's the link:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,336 Posts
It could be the side mirrors making that noise. Try folding them in and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
For a quick test, you could move the crossbars to different positions e.g. both could be placed at the recommended position; there should be markings on the roof rack OR maybe move both crossbars to the back completely. If the noise changes, it is a good start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 RAV4 XLE AWD with 2000km on it. I noticed a whistling noise a few days back when I was accelerating from 70 to 80km/h. I can also hear the noise when the car runs at above 100km/h. Brought it in for a check up but the technician said he didn't hear anything abnormal. Drove another RAV4 at the dealership and heard the same noise. So I guess it's not just my car. I'm just wondering if anybody has the same issue?
This is a bit late, but I get that whistle in the range 78-81 KM. What comes to mind is a, aerodynamic design problem. The RAV is scooped downward on the front end so it could be channeling the wind back over the top and through the things that stick out like the mirrors.

Whether it bothers me , not much. If I choose to check out my 'ole trouble spot I can reproduce it, but I guess it's not that much of a problem. (my dad had a quick fix with these gremlin nuisances, turn up the radio.)

What does concern me though, being a Toyota customer with 3 vehicles bought in a row from the same place, is the non-chalent way your being treated and made to look like your nuts. The second test drive by you with another vehicle should have had the mechanic eager to find the problem.

Sorry I can't help more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a bit late, but I get that whistle in the range 78-81 KM. What comes to mind is a, aerodynamic design problem. The RAV is scooped downward on the front end so it could be channeling the wind back over the top and through the things that stick out like the mirrors.

Whether it bothers me , not much. If I choose to check out my 'ole trouble spot I can reproduce it, but I guess it's not that much of a problem. (my dad had a quick fix with these gremlin nuisances, turn up the radio.)

What does concern me though, being a Toyota customer with 3 vehicles bought in a row from the same place, is the non-chalent way your being treated and made to look like your nuts. The second test drive by you with another vehicle should have had the mechanic eager to find the problem.

Sorry I can't help more.
Thanks for your reply. I agree that it's not a big of a deal because when you drive with the radio on you can barely hear that whistle. The whistle did happen at another speed range yesterday though, when the speed dropped from 120 to 100 km/h. Anyways, it's a really good car and there's really nothing to complain about it except for that whistle. I'll let another mechanic look at it if it gets worse.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have a 2015 XLE with over 7500 miles on it now and I don't hear any foreign noises at speed. However, I do have both a hood deflector and a moonroof deflector installed on it. If the whistle is an aerodynamic harmony then perhaps one, if not both of the deflectors are negating the effect?

I also have a sharkfin type antenna installed topside too.

Try removing your antenna mast and driving without it to see if that could be the culprit. Antenna masts are prone to whistling at certain speeds too, that's why some masts have a ridge that spirals from top to bottom to disrupt the airflow around it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.