Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, I have decided to take the plunge into the HID world after using bulbs for the last 1.5 years. Gonna be doing a lot more night driving. I was hoping I could get some recommendations for HID's best for the money. Also last thing,could I get the link or part number for the dust cover(in case I mess up...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Any particular reason why you decided to go with HID and not LED? Just curious. I have LED in my 2017 RAV4 and HID in the FJ. I have to say that LED has an edge as far as visibility at night. Maybe it's just me lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any particular reason why you decided to go with HID and not LED? Just curious. I have LED in my 2017 RAV4 and HID in the FJ. I have to say that LED has an edge as far as visibility at night. Maybe it's just me lol

HID because the 15 RAV4 projector was meant for a halogen which has a hotspot. LED's do not have that hot spot so the light is flooded(bright in front of you but distance is dim)

·
Registered
184 Posts
HID because the 15 RAV4 projector was meant for a halogen which has a hotspot. LED's do not have that hot spot so the light is flooded(bright in front of you but distance is dim)
This makes me wonder.. if projectors on 2017 and 2015 are the same... and maybe installing LED was a wrong call on my part :serious
On the other hand, factory halogen was absolutely horrible...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This makes me wonder.. if projectors on 2017 and 2015 are the same... and maybe installing LED was a wrong call on my part :serious

On the other hand, factory halogen was absolutely horrible...

I'm not sure for 2017. Since there is a 2017 RAV4 with standard LED headlights. Yes true,the stock halogens are pretty bad

·
Registered
184 Posts
My only concern with HID, from my experience, they generate significant amount of heat and left burn "stains" on the headlight lenses of my FJ.. looks like 1/2" spots of faded plastic with tiny bubbles. That could be because of OBX trips, 115-117F on the dunes... Not enough air flow to cool lenses down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My only concern with HID, from my experience, they generate significant amount of heat and left burn "stains" on the headlight lenses of my FJ.. looks like 1/2" spots of faded plastic with tiny bubbles. That could be because of OBX trips, 115-117F on the dunes... Not enough air flow to cool lenses down.

That's true. I'll be mainly on the highway at night when I use them doing 60-70mph. No worries :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tried both HID's and Led's on my 16 XLE, and liked the HID's better because of the longer and wider beam, the led's are brighter over the halogens but the output beam is almost the same. I have been using HID's for years in different toyota vehicles and never had any issues. I don't think the HID's bulbs produce more heat than Led's just wonder why most led's bulbs have a fan or heatsink. I even touched the HID ballast and the heatsink of the led's and the led gets hotter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried both HID's and Led's on my 16 XLE, and liked the HID's better because of the longer and wider beam, the led's are brighter over the halogens but the output beam is almost the same. I have been using HID's for years in different toyota vehicles and never had any issues. I don't think the HID's bulbs produce more heat than Led's just wonder why most led's bulbs have a fan or heatsink. I even touched the HID ballast and the heatsink of the led's and the led gets hotter.

I went with a full led setup:)it's in the exterior section

1 - 9 of 9 Posts