Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Rav4 has less than 5000 miles on it. I live in a very hot country in Africa- but don't drive a lot. Aside from changing the oil and air filters, do I need to change the transmission or brake fluid?

I've rotated the tires just recently.

I feel like I should be doing something else, but with such low mileage, I'm a bit baffled.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
No need to do anything else IMO. The only part that deteriorates quicker with not being used is the exhaust system but that's likely not an issue with only 5K especially in hot climates.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Although Toyota does not say so it is a very good idea to flush/change the brake fluid every three years. Some manufacturers, Honda for instance, do recommend this. If your area of Africa is extremely dusty you might consider changing the cabin air filter and possibly the engine air filter. That's all I can think of.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
If you don't warm the engine sufficiently moisture can precipitate in the exhaust system and promote rust, as well as damage in other places.

What kind of surface the car is parked upon can also make a difference. We had an estate sale in town in which a super-low mileage car had been parked in a little garage for years. It looked very pretty, but the floor was cement, and our soil tends to be sandy. The cement was perpetually damp. The underside of the whole car was wrecked with deep rust. Tires were flat, too. It sold at scrap value.

(My garage is well ventilated. Big difference.)

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Pico is correct. Every time a car runs water vapor forms in the exhaust. If it's driven long enough to heat the exhaust system up the vapor can't condense and form acids with the other products of combustion that causes internal rusting. So cars that are mainly driven on short trips and then parked have their exhaust systems rust out faster.

And as he mentioned, where a car is parked for extended periods can have a major impact on its underbody. When I see a car for sale parked on a lawn with grass growing up around it I know its floor is in the process of rotting out from ground moisture and it will soon be a parts car. Any vehicle I'm going to leave parked on my yard for more than a couple weeks, such as my travel trailer, gets parked on a large tarp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The area is very salty here with high humidity. It sounds like replacing the exhaust system isn't a bad idea now. I'd rather spend the money and replace something even if it too early than let rust form and regret not having replaced it.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
The area is very salty here with high humidity. It sounds like replacing the exhaust system isn't a bad idea now. I'd rather spend the money and replace something even if it too early than let rust form and regret not having replaced it.
WHOA NOW! There's absolutely no need to replace the exhaust system at this point! True, there's a possibility its life may be reduced by the conditions but that may mean only 100,000 miles instead of 200,000.

·
Registered
387 Posts
As far as I know, the exhaust system on the RAV4 has been made from stainless steel since 2013. If not earlier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts