Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the hood up today and noticed the belt tensioner (near alternator) 'vibrating' consistently at idle. What I specifically see is the hex shape 'nut' (to relieve the tension) at the top of the tensioner vibrating consistently. Can anyone verify if this is normal on the 2ar-fe or should it appear to be sitting still/not shaking. Have 900 miles on the engine so far.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Depends. IF the movement is only a few millimeters (less then 1/4 inch), then it's normal. That's why the tensioner is there - to keep the belt under constant tension under varying load.

If it moves a lot (more than 1/4 inch), then it's not normal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
2015rav44, it is indeed hard to say solely base on your description. Would you be able to shoot then load a short video clip about it so we can reply more specifically. "vibrating consistently at idle" as in up/down motion with the belt rotation or perhaps 'wabbles' against the tensioner shaft... Sometimes could be a bad belt (I.e. with a hard spot or deformed slightly from being parked and etc.) not necessarily be the tensioner, so a video may help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the movement is about 1/4" in either direction. It's not excessive, it's just constant.

Video (at idle/no AC/seemingly constant load): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uG3DKdmmC2bFFjc2ZCYlJhcWs/view?pli=1

The oscillating looks a bit more pronounced in real life, than what is seen on the video. It was hard to get a good angle to shoot the video at.

It's the constant motion that I'm questioning... normal? (By comparison, my other vehicle's automatic belt tensioner doesn't exhibit movement at all at idle, which is why I started questioning it.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, the movement is about 1/4" in either direction. It's not excessive, it's just constant.

The oscillating looks a bit more pronounced in real life, than what is seen on the video. It was hard to get a good angle to shoot the video at.

It's the constant motion that I'm questioning... normal? (By comparison, my other vehicle's automatic belt tensioner doesn't exhibit movement at all at idle, which is why I started questioning it.)
I looked closely to your video, at about 8-10 seconds in to the clip is while I see the tensioner oscillating most clearly. I also checked my RAV4 (3 different times at cold start, after warmed-up when the idle speed reduced to normal and just came back home from a 20-30 minutes drive) each time the tensioner has been stable with almost no oscillation.

Per your video, I believe the tensioner oscillating may be due to your engine is still in its break-in period (oh yes, I just looked at your first post, only has 900 miles)? Or, otherwise some minor uneven engine combustion (bad gas perhaps)? I would keep a close eye on it for a while, but if you are not comfortable with that, bring your RAV4 to your dealership and compare with another RAV4 if you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rickyvmax, thank you for looking. I did end up going to the dealer and looked at another 2015 rav4. The tensioner looked probably like what your's does, no real noticeable movement at idle. Showed a service manager, but not making noise, so no replacement. I'll just keep an eye on it and see what it's doing at the 5000 mile mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts