Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Proud owner of a 2015 XLE currently with 24,100 miles on it.Recently I've been hearing a slight whistle noise when applying the brakes steadily. The brake pads look fine, and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what this could be. Could it be dirt? I've purchased it at 19,000 miles. I have a scheduled oil change and full inspection coming up, but this noise is really bothering me. Any similar occurrences? What could it be?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I believe most, if not all, manufacturers use an audible warning that indicates pad wear. At the mileage you report, I would think that is unlikely tho not impossible. I would carefully recheck all the brake pads to be sure. I have a low mileage 2016 XLE and I am not sure someone did not change the odometer setting somewhere along the line. I'm sure the dealers have the means to do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe most, if not all, manufacturers use an audible warning that indicates pad wear. At the mileage you report, I would think that is unlikely tho not impossible. I would carefully recheck all the brake pads to be sure. I have a low mileage 2016 XLE and I am not sure someone did not change the odometer setting somewhere along the line. I'm sure the dealers have the means to do that.
Thank you for taking the time; Might be time to change the front pads.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Make sure you grease the caliper slide pins also! Here's a video you can use for reference
I would replace the rubber boots myself. ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, just came back from Toyota Boston after servicing. With the complimentary multipoint inspection, they found a little rock on the rotor - Saved a couple hundred dollars right there. That was the cause of the whistle noise and the pads and rotors were in good shape. Thank you for your reply ?? And great video btw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts