Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2016 Brake Pads wear out after 15K/one year?

3611 5
Hi there,
I just took my 2016 in for an inspection and the mechanic told me that my front pads are nearly gone.
In March 2019, I had them replaced at the dealer (Queensboro Toyota in NYC, cost $300, after 35K miles).
Since then, I've gone 15K.

The mechanic thinks they didn't bother to replace the pads or gave me someone else's used pads.
The pads haven't been squealing or grinding.

Could he be wrong? Could the dealer have done this, or could the pads really last only that long?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I think you need a new mechanic. I highly doubt a dealer would bother replacing your old brakes with someone else's old brakes, sounds stupid. Charge you $300 for new brakes and don't do anything? Meh, maybe. IMO, you need a complete inspection of the system. Your rear brakes may be defective causing the fronts to do all the work. The front calipers may be bad.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I think you need a new mechanic. I highly doubt a dealer would bother replacing your old brakes with someone else's old brakes, sounds stupid. Charge you $300 for new brakes and don't do anything? Meh, maybe. IMO, you need a complete inspection of the system. Your rear brakes may be defective causing the fronts to do all the work. The front calipers may be bad.
Further to the fronts, the previous tech may have not lubed the slide pins, only the pads in the mounts, resulting in a sticking caliper.
Next thing: check your owner’s manual for the minimum brake spec - on my 2012, Toyota lists 1.0mm as the minimum but most shops will consider 3.0mm as the minimum spec. I’d want to see the measurements.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Your pads probably weren't shot at 35K, they tell you that and just change them anyways. They want to change them at 3-4 mm, but the spec is 1-2mm I believe. Always ask to see them first.
Dealerships are pretty crooked and anything could have happened. They probably did change them, but I've found out from a Toyota tech recently that they have different grades of pads now. They probably gave you the lesser grade and never took the time to lube the pins properly. They get paid by the job, so speed is in their best interests.
You should learn how to change your brakes yourself. Its easy and with a little TLC, they last a long time. I routinely get at least 100,000 kms (60,000 miles) out of brake pads. Different types of driving and where you drive takes a different toll on the life of your brakes.
Good luck...

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Moved to the correct forum, 4.4

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Unless you drive with your foot on the brake pedal (some people around here do!) those pads shouldn't be worn out to being needed to be replaced at 15K miles. If a Toyota dealer's service rep.told you that it it is probable that they have a mortgage payment or the like to make soon, since they generally are paid on commission based upon how much money they make for the dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.