Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2016 cargo cover

19K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Scoobydoo2 
#1 ·
Seems to be some confusion as to whether the retractable cargo cover is standard on the XLE and Limited. A dealer video I saw says it's standard, whereas the Toyota press info describes it as a "Factory Option."

My 2016 Hybrid Limited did not come with one, so I ordered it. I'm a little disappointed. It doesn't actually cover the entire cargo area. There's about an 8" gap between the back seat and the cover. I try to justify it by saying it's to accommodate the reclining rear seats, but I don't think they recline that much (though I haven't checked).

#4 ·
15 XLE came with one, but this one has the convenience package with sunroof, NAV system, and power liftgate.

No 3M protection on the leading edge of the hood, but it does have the 3M protection on the edges of the door.

#8 ·
You don't necessarily HAVE to recline the seats for it to "fit." It is more about the fact that if you don't want the open gap, you will have to recline seats.

It doesn't bother me at all, but I guess my level of OCD is not that severe :wink

#6 ·
Same with both of our '08 models. The amount of recline is not drastic, in fact it's very comfortable when sitting in the back. Ours do have the movable rear seat base which may take up some of the area when all the way to the rear. Still some reclining of the seat back is needed.

#7 ·
I was a little dissappointed too about the apparent quality of the cargo cover.

I've seen other cars include two retracting covers in the one bar to deal with this problem - the usual one to the rear of the car, and another from the bar to the rear of the seats, usually clipping into the head rest posts, and able to adjust to whatever amount of back seat recline.

I guess the folding head rests in our cars make this more of a challenge, but still, some other clipping point could have been provided. The cheap vinyl plastic it's made from also makes me think it wont last very long.

Still, it's a small niggle in an otherwise pretty great car.

#14 ·
Our 13 Limited came with the retractable cover, it's kind of a joke, by getting in the way and generally not useful. Removed it within a couple weeks of buying the car, it's been in the corner of the garage ever since. We keep the rear seats upright for more trunk room. The dark rear windows make it fairly hard to see what is inside.

Previous cars we owned, had hard removable covers that folded to allow more access or could be slid out for taller items. They were superior to to this retractable thing that hangs down and gets in the way.

#16 ·
Cover not standard

For 2016 the cargo cover is an option (unless part of a dealer package) I bought 2016 limited awd, only option available for limited from manufacture is the premium radio or technology package. All other options are essentially dealer installed. Thus why I am now getting the "dealer options" online @ half price.

Getting the mud guards, hitch, cargo cover, body side guards, all weather floor mats and cargo liner online to save about $1000. I was surprised to find the carpeted mats and carpeted cargo mat put in while they were washing and fueling it up as I was signing the paper work. They are not listed on the window sticker and I was not expecting them to be included although on the limited they should, maybe they are, I don't care but happy maybe someone goofed and put them in. It says on the window sticker Full Tank of Fuel as standard, good for you Toyota. I hate asking the dealer for such a small thing that should be included for someone buying a new car.

As for the "gap" it is there to accommodate the recline. Much needed for those who sit back there. You have to look for the cover that has the "flap" that attaches to the rear seats. Seems some have the flap and some don't. Here is a photo I copied from an ebay site. I will leave the link out as it will be no good after time has passed.

Attachments

#18 ·
JohnC88
I am buying from multiple vedors looking for OEM, best prices and free or low shipping.

So far bought Weather Tech for mats...the actual Weather Tech site. Style, digital fit...pricey but better than generic...
Car Mats, Floor Mats, Cargo Liners, Side Window Deflectors | WeatherTech.com

Best places so far the rest...
Probably Ebay for the cargo cover and mud guards something like this...
2016 Toyota RAV4 RAV4 Hybrid Black 4pc Mudguard Kit PU060 42S16 P1 | eBay

As of now maybe getting these colored matched body side guards, they are a bit more because of the chrome inset strip...
Toyota RAV4 Painted Molding with Chrome Insert | Car Door Protection | Bodysidemoldings.com

As for the hitch...still not sure as to get hidden hitch or regular like most, expect low $100 for regular (many sites) or a permmium $200+ for hidden design. New bumper design for 2016 so fitment is still a question for the "torklift central ecohitch" hidden hitch....
http://torkliftcentral.com/2013-2015-toyota-rav4-ecohitch

#21 ·
Our 2016 didn't come with the cargo cover but did get it thrown in as part of the deal. One of the dealership staff helped carry it out and showed me a neat little trick that I'm not sure is in the manual. When the cover is not in use, it has a space above the spare tire. The notch on the right is visible, for the left side, pull up a plastic panel.

#22 ·
Thank you Douglas007. Someday I will get around to reading those 700+ pages not counting the nav. book. Your tip page 511. It also mentions and shows what I call the "gap flap"... so I guess some of the covers from the dealer have that feature. page 510
"For vehicles with hooks:
Attach the hooks to the rear
seat head restraints."

#23 ·
I wasn't aware of this thread, and started another with the same question ... and here's what I just posted there, in case there's interest in covering the gap...

I made a set of homemade covers that move as the seats recline, are easy to build, and are light, quiet, and cheap: Do-it-yourself RAV4 cargo area covers. They may not look factory, but they're more than good enough for our needs.

Here are the finished covers in place:

-rob.

#24 ·
Mine had a part that connected to head rests

When I bought one for my 2008 RAV4 XLE (just traded it in) and it had a part with grippers that connected it to the head rests. When I look at pictures for the current ones, some do have the connection on one side of the bar that hooks into the side of the car. Maybe, someone sold you the wrong one.

So, now, I am going to try to sell the 2008 one and buy one for my new 2016. So, I will watch out for that part.

SandraB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.