Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings ... we just bought a 2016 Limited Hybrid, and it included the cargo area cover. However, the cover only covers the back 2/3rds of the cargo area; anyone looking in the rear window can easily see what's in the back.

It seems older RAV4s had an available full cover—one from Toyota and others from third parties -- they look like this one.

Does anyone know of a similar product for the 2016s?

thanks!
-rob.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi R4U2

I've got a base model 2016 and the cargo cover from Toyoa fully covers the rear cargo area. If you're referring to the space between the rear seats and the actual rail mounting point for the cover, there's 2 other piece of fabric that come out of the rail that you clip onto the posts for the rear seat headrests. See the pic below. This covers the other third of the cargo area. Have you pulled those out and attached them, or are they just hanging into your cargo area?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's a better picture.
This one's actually from a 2016 Rav. The other one is was just generic

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How very strange - they one that came with our hybrid (also a genuine Toyota part) has none of the front cover area. It's a solid bar, with nothing there at all. I took a picture of it this morning, and as you can see, the bar is solid with nothing attached to the front.

Do the rear seats in your car recline and/or fold down? I wonder if that's the difference?

thanks;
-rob.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do the rear seats in your car recline and/or fold down?
My rear seats fold forward in a 60/40 split. They also recline from being upright (with the attached cover being basically taught) to leaning all the way back until they're almost resting on the rail for the cargo cover (at which point the cover between the seats and the rail just sags)

No idea why yours is different. Sorry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem is it also reveals anything stored at the front of the hatch area, which is what my wife's concerned about. Worst case, I'll fashion something from foam core board that rests on the cover and can slide when the seats recline. Just seems odd they had a working solution - and apparently still have, based on D. Spec's post, so I'll also visit the dealer to discuss.

-rob.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
They only need to recline when you're not in it, teach the kids to adjust the seatbacks. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
mine is the same thing and i have LE AWD. i do not have the front part of the cover either. there for it leaves room to recline the seats.
You can recline the back seats with the full cover attached and it just folds in. No need to ever unclip from the back seat headrest bars unless you want to remove it completely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just confirmed with the dealer that they don't make an "attaches to seats" cargo cover for the US 2016 RAV4. I wonder if the Australian model didn't get the same updates as the US did in 2016?

I guess it's time to fabricate something out of foam core and black felt.

-rob.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Owner manual showing luggage cover with hooks to the rear seats (page 432) but US dealer did not have the rear hook kind when I ordered. I am pretty sure it would be soon available in US market. I was not aware there are two different kind of luggage cover until reading the manual. However, earlier year of Rav4 has the rear hook kind if I am not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
My 2006 V6 4.3 had the tab on the front of the cargo cover that attached to the headrest posts, my 2015 was the same as my 2016 Hybrid, best guess is they eliminated the front tab to reduce costs.:(

·
Registered
108 Posts
US 2016 Ravs do not come with a cargo cover. It is an option on all trims. I have a 16 Limited and when I traded in my '13 XLE I took the cargo cover with me! ;) Toyota wants over $160 for the "new" cover. Sorry but for $35,000 dollor SUV, give us the darn cover!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Weird. I bought a 2016 SE two months ago in Florida and it came with a cargo cover (not the full one being asked about in the OP, though). I would have thought for sure that a Limited, being the higher mode type, would have come with one.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
I would be curious to know if these covers were listed on the window sticker.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts