Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 Limited came with a factory Gentex frameless mirror with compass and Homelink garage door opener.
The problem: The Homelink works always even the car is locked and no key in ignition. (Or pushbutton in my case)
The mirror wired with 3 wires. Ground, Battery + 12V, Ignition +12V.
I want the Homelink to work only if the ignition on, not any time by factory.

Simple mod: I removed the battery wire and soldered a jumper to the ignition, so the mirror will be powered only if the ignition is on.
I did it hard way, because I decided to take the mirror apart. I do not recommend to take the mirror apart, since you can break the clips or break the glass.
The easiest way it would be to cut and resolder the wire at the harness.

I took some photos and if someone interested, I can post it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 16 Limited came with a factory Gentex frameless mirror with compass and Homelink garage door opener.
The problem: The Homelink works always even the car is locked and no key in ignition. (Or pushbutton in my case)
The mirror wired with 3 wires. Ground, Battery + 12V, Ignition +12V.
I want the Homelink to work only if the ignition on, not any time by factory.

Simple mod: I removed the battery wire and soldered a jumper to the ignition, so the mirror will be powered only if the ignition is on.
I did it hard way, because I decided to take the mirror apart. I do not recommend to take the mirror apart, since you can break the clips or break the glass.
The easiest way it would be to cut and resolder the wire at the harness.

I took some photos and if someone interested, I can post it.
Good work. Yes, pls post pictures.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Removing Mirror is easy. In my case I had to remove a cover from Line Departure Camera on windshield. No screws. Just slide 2 plastic pieces apart.
Then unplug the 10-pin mirror harness.
Then pull harness clip from the bracket. Have to pull hard.
Use torx screwdriver, unscrew the mirror mount.
Mirror comes off.
You may get away removing it. Just need to get access to 3 wire harness. The easy way would be to do it on vehicle side of harness. I did it inside the mirror since I already took it apart.
Taking mirror apart is really hard and you can possibly break the clips or break the glass. I do not recommend.
3 wires.
1) Ground: leave it alone.
2) Battery +12: Cut and put electrical tape around.
3) Ignition: Do not cut. Run a jump wire from it to +12V pin on mirror. You can use 3M T-Connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For whatever reason the mirror side harness have more wires. Possibly can do more function like outside temperature.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts