Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have misplaced one of the keys to my 2016 Rav4 Hybrid.

what are the options to get a replacement key ?

thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dealer might be your easiest bet, but I think you do need the few digits codes that’s on one of the keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are a computer wonk and want to deal with bootleg software you can buy a cable from amazon and download a bootleg copy techstream software and do it yourself.

My recommendation is that you call around to your local locksmiths. The local shop that I found supplied each fob and key for $130 plus $65 to program the first one and $10 each after that plus $35 per metal key cut the key to open the drivers side door without a fob or functional battery. Basically if you need two it is half the dealer costs and about $35 more expensive than going the techstream route. That was for a proximity fob not a smart key. It seems that you can get new smart keys for way less than new proximity fobs.

Whoever does it will need all of your keys when you program the new ones. The way that it works is that each key/fob is unique and the software is used to pair the key/fob to the car. I am pretty sure that the process starts out with telling your car to forget all previously remembered keys, which considering someone can walk into a parking lot with your lost key clicking on the honk the horn button, is not such a bad thing.

Oh and the locksmith told me that toyota only allows 4 fobs to be matched to a car at once .. .. says the guy with a spare UN-programmed fob ready for future use.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,726 Posts
We need to know if you have keyfob or push to start before we can help you!
Don't all RAV4 Hybrids use the push to start SmartKey?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
The 2017 ebrochure shows all Hybrids have the Smart Key, the 2016 only the Limited did. Even if the XLE Hybrid doesn't have the Smart Key, he was looking to buy a Limited Hybrid which definitely has the Smart Key. :wink

https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2017/rav4_ebrochure.pdf

https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2016/rav4hybrid_ebrochure.pdf

could you PM me the sales person you worked with ? looking to pick up a Limited Hybrid myself.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/209698-2016-rav4-prices-paid-2.html#post2169905

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 2017 ebrochure shows all Hybrids have the Smart Key, the 2016 only the Limited did. Even if the XLE Hybrid doesn't have the Smart Key, he was looking to buy a Limited Hybrid which definitely has the Smart Key. :wink
Pretty sure the 2016 XLE hybrid has a power button just like all Toyota hybrids do. A key with aux, run, and start selections doesn't make sense for a hybrid with no starter

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
thanks.. mine does have the push to start button.

is http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/186042-smart-keys-replacement-info-how.html#post1778418 the route I need in that case ?

thanks
Route that you "NEED" to go?

The way that I see it you have three options you will need to choose which way you go.

1. You can go to a dealer and pay about $450 per programmed fob and key. They will want the 5 digit number that came with your key in order to cut your emergency use door key.

2. You can call around to local locksmiths and get pricing to have them order a fob and copy your emergency door key. I did this for two fobs and it cost me $129 each plus $65 for programming the first fob and $10 for the second and subsequent new fob. Plus $35 each to cut the emergency door key.

3. You can buy a new fob/emergency key for $150 each from someplace like replacemyremote.com, buy the cable from Amazon or someone and download a bootleg copy of techstream tools and program them yourself. You still have to pay someone to cut the emergency door key if you want to continue to have that functionality. When I did the math and was getting two extra fobs I figured this option was $35 cheaper than option 2.

With options 1 and 2 the risk of getting the wrong fob is on the supplier. Also both of them know how to do it and you can be fairly certain that you will not "brick" your system such that you have to get a dealer involved.

Also note the less expensive fob/emergency keys on ebay seemed to be used and often times if you looked at the emergency door key you will find that it has already been cut so it is useless for your car.

So those are your options. Let us know what you choose, especially if you get pricing from your local locksmith, what they want to charge.

PS in a previous thread there was a discussion on the bootleg techstream software. It seems that there are issues with Windows 64 computers that make the software install more difficult. That was one of the things that has kept me away from considering it right now as all of my computers are 64 bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts