Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the fix. When I fade to the rear speakers, there is no volume.

Fronts sound OK, but I like my music from behind. Very disappointed in this system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I was playing with the stereo again last night. With the music faded to the back, There is almost no sound coming from the rear doors or back sub. This can't be right.

Has anyone got anywhere with Toyota or JBL?

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I was playing with the stereo again last night. With the music faded to the back, There is almost no sound coming from the rear doors or back sub. This can't be right.

Has anyone got anywhere with Toyota or JBL?
The system is designed to provide a front soundstage. The sub works with the front door speakers which provide most of the bass. If you fade to the rear you lose the sub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I prefer my music from behind when I crank it up. Or maybe the dash speakers are just to harsh for my taste. I'm going to try your hack of putting sound foam in the dash speakers.

Has anyone had luck adding the amps to the rear doors and sub like you have mentioned?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I prefer my music from behind when I crank it up. Or maybe the dash speakers are just to harsh for my taste. I'm going to try your hack of putting sound foam in the dash speakers.

Has anyone had luck adding the amps to the rear doors and sub like you have mentioned?
The front speakers are the worst. Check this thread. JBL Premium Audio Sound Fix This makes a great improvement in the sound of the system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are those dash speakers less powerful? I'm going to try the foam with stock first, but for $30 I'm sure I try the speakers also.
They are less efficient which makes them quieter than the stock speakers. The difference in the balance of the sound, especially at low volume, is amazing. Much better bass as well as clearer highs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I solved this issue for zero dollars.

Just used some 1/4" open cell foam from an old box and stuffed some closed cell rubber under the speakers the block soundwaves from the rear of the dash speakers.

The stock JBL speakers are getting way too much midrange and presence from the head unit and it slaps you in the ear holes when it bounces off the windshield.
The sub is wired to the "front" on your fader so it loses all power when you try to quiet the front speakers.

Here is my old school solution.

Cut out the foam in the speaker size and opened up the entire tweeter area but only 25% of the midrange area of the speaker.
(Start smaller and test how you like the sound output. This was optimal for me. You may want more or less midrange.)

NOT ACTUAL SPEAKER

This physically limits the midrange from overpowering your ears.
I purposely placed the opening at the bottom so the midrange has more distance from the windshield, and less ear slap.

Once you snap the speaker covers back in place, you can't see the foam at all.
I can now turn my head unit up several clicks higher without piercing my eardrums. This also brings the bass up and the overall sound is now way better.
There is no issue with the JBL speakers. They work great.

The issue is the headunit, which was not made by JBL. In order to prevent blown speakers, the bass drops out when you raise the volume up high.
That's a whole different issue that I'll tackle next with an AudioControl LC2i in the future.

Have a great weekend everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts