Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new member and my first time posting! I just bought a 2016 LE AWD. As everyone might know, the hybrid seems to be the ONLY model that comes with LED DRL's. Although, my LE actually has the LED's in the headlight, they are not used in any function. Does anyone have a schematic or a way to make these existing LED's my DRL instead of my regular low beam bulbs? I was a Toyota mechanic for 3 1/2 years so if I had a schematic for both the hybrid and the LE I can most likely make it work. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I'm a new user to the website, but just as an FYI if you are info hunting, the 2016 SE AWD also has the LED auto-off DRL's as well. I opted to get the SE with the LED auto on/off DRL's in mine. Hopefully that helps broaden your search. Good luck! I wish I could be more help, but I'm new to the RAV4 world.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
A new member and my first time posting! I just bought a 2016 LE AWD. As everyone might know, the hybrid seems to be the ONLY model that comes with LED DRL's. Although, my LE actually has the LED's in the headlight, they are not used in any function. Does anyone have a schematic or a way to make these existing LED's my DRL instead of my regular low beam bulbs?
There are NO LED's in your 2016 LE headlights. What looks like an LED strip is an empty space in the headlights. They are used in Europe but not in N. America.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How can you say there are no led lights in the headlight when you can clearly see the bulbs. I'm sure the wiring is the same across all models and it's a quick disconnect and reconnect of a different plug. I have a 16' LE and I can see the led bulbs, they just don't light up like the SE/Limited models. I'm gonna check the wiring and see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How can you say there are no led lights in the headlight when you can clearly see the bulbs. I'm sure the wiring is the same across all models and it's a quick disconnect and reconnect of a different plug. I have a 16' LE and I can see the led bulbs, they just don't light up like the SE/Limited models. I'm gonna check the wiring and see.
Hi,

you can check on http://www.toyota-tech.eu site.
In the repair section you can find the electrical wiring diagrams.
Select Rav4, basic model AVA42, engine 2ar-fxe and you get a model with daytime led lights.

Just you need to register and pay a small fee (3 EURO for 1 hour) to have full access for 1 hour.

Hope this helps
Flavio

Inviato dal mio GT-N8000 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took a look at my 2016 XLE, shone a flashlight on the led area and what I thought initially looked like LEDs looks like some kind of a chrome looking bulb. I believe those are just chrome plastic dummy leds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep, the 2016 XLE has dummy bulbs in there... already checked as much as I could short of pulling off the whole darn thing... I wish there were bulbs somewhere... I love how they look on the Limited..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just bought a 2016 XLE Hybrid and was wondering why it didn't have the LED bar for the DRL it is just the headlight bulb used as the DRL's was so bummed. Someone said if you get the headlights from the SE or the limited it will work. Not sure of that. Does anyone know if that is true?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Light strip solution

If you check the fuse box in the engine compartment on the passenger side you will notice that the DRL fuse and relay are both missing. The fuse, although hard to find, is only a little over $2 from Toyota. However the relay is over $200. I haven't picked up the relay yet but I believe that when I get it installed the light strip will light up.

Both of these are installed in the Limited edition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not dummy lights, just not turned on because they want you to upgrade to the higher trims. Install the missing DRL fuse and relay and they will go on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure they are not dummy led's, I looked really close on my XLE and it does look like they are dummy led lights. I did a visit to the local Toyota dealership and did notice, that the headlight led strip section on a SE and Limited, does not have the wider diamond section above the turn signal, the limited and SE have a straight across strip all the way across with no wider section. it is a different led strip section. If you look at the two lights you will notice there is a difference. I believe if you spent the money on those relays, would be waste, until you can confirm from some one that has actually did this. I wouldn't spend that kind of money. Please update me if you find out otherwise, but that is my observation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife got a SE for a loaner so I snapped some pictures of the wiring, definitely wired different. You would need to add wiring , a new headlight housing, relay and fuse and maybe more to have the led running lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Damn, I really wish our 2016 XLE had those fancy daytime running lights.

So you really have to buy new headlight assemblys, wiring, fuse, relay and wiring?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just got a 17' SE...one of the main reasons for my going the SE route was the LED's themselves....I know in my Techstream/Carista App I have the option to turn the LED's in the front housing ON/OFF. You you guys are saying that the LED bulbs are physically present in your light housings...Maybe try to get an app or program like Carista to enable you to get into the menu with those options.
Maybe it's as simple as changing that option.
Worth a try if you believe the bulbs are already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MRxx2

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
i found this on ebay
Pair Extreme Bright Daytime Running DRL Strip Lights For 16-18 Toyota RAV4 Mods.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162805398251?ul_noapp=true

here is the installation

https://tbm-auth.alicdn.com/WWsBaJx7ePPRWn3J7iH/[email protected]@hd.mp4?auth_key=1529867293-0-0-44ab0c75b5de157979141c62a5b0c147

im planning to install this on my rav4 2017 xle. i think i need to drill a hole. mine does not have the socket/wiring.
These things are a joke. Don't waste your money.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts