Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Limited 1.5 weeks ago, and yesterday, my push button start failed. It says that the car must be in park in order to start the engine.

To get around it, I have had to turn the car into accessory mode, shift to neutral and then start. Has anyone else experienced this?

It is booked in for service tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picking mine up on Thursday, please share with us what the dealer says about the issue in case others run into this problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No, I haven't had that issue. I do find that if you have the key in your pocket and you're wearing a coat, the keyless locks and tailgate don't always respond. I guess the remote doesn't put out a very strong signal. The keyless feature on the Acura and Mercedes I had previously seemed a little stronger.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The trans needs to be in Park AND you need to have your foot on the brake.

If it is only starting in neutral, I would suspect an issue with the transmission selector position sensor.
Take it in to have it checked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi folks, sorry for the delay in posting an update. Just prior to taking my Rav in, the problem stopped. I took it in anyways and it became one of those "It's not doing it now so we can't fix it" problems, and I was advised to bring it back if it happened again.

Fast forward to today, and the problem came back. The only correlation I can make between last time it happened and this time is a significant decrease in temperature. It stopped when temps warmed up, and came back today, when we hit the deep freeze.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi folks, sorry for the delay in posting an update. Just prior to taking my Rav in, the problem stopped. I took it in anyways and it became one of those "It's not doing it now so we can't fix it" problems, and I was advised to bring it back if it happened again.

Fast forward to today, and the problem came back. The only correlation I can make between last time it happened and this time is a significant decrease in temperature. It stopped when temps warmed up, and came back today, when we hit the deep freeze.

Will keep you posted.
Are you keeping your foot on the brake until the ignition actually starts the engine? If you prematurely let go of the brake, the engine will not start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Meaniez,
I am, but thank you for the note. Basically when I get in, close the door and put my foot on the brake, the car just starts to beep and then the "error" message shows up on the dash. If I then take my foot of the brake, turn the car to accessory (pushing the button twice) I can then shift it to neutral and start it.

Stay tuned for a dealer update. While definitely inconvenient, at least I can get it to start! (Knock on wood.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting. I've only experienced that, as others, when the steering wheel is locked hard in one direction after parking. I needed to turn the wheel a bit to get the wheel to unlock and it would then start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts