Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my OEM fog light bulbs with Lumens LED ones. There's a BIG problem with what Toyota says the bulbs are - they are listed as H16's, when in fact they are actually H11's! (See the picture of the OEM bulbs). I bought H16's first, and the base connection is totally different. Exchanged them for H11's and they fit perfect. I'll get some pics at night and post them later.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Boldlygo: Looking forward to the pics with the LEDs installed. What brand did you purchase and where did you get yours from?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lumens from Performance Improvements. I did some night testing last night and the fog lights now seem to light up trees (on a dark road where trees are close) on both sides of the road, although not a lot - but you could see the light on the trees as I toggled them on & off. I also got flashed a few times from oncoming drivers on a main county road. Wonder if the light pattern coming out has changed? You wouldn't think as it should be the reflector in the housing that controls where the light goes.
I can't tell you if the original bulbs lit up trees before as I didn't get a chance to check that before I changed them.

Boldlygo: Looking forward to the pics with the LEDs installed. What brand did you purchase and where did you get yours from?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

How difficult is it to get to the bulbs? I've been trying to find instructions on how to change the bulbs on the Car. It's a 2016 SE

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The RAV4 was pretty easy. A couple of screws along the bottom, pop out the plug on the inner fender - pull out the inner fender or move it out of the way enough to allow your hand to get in - remove and replace the bulb.

Hi,

How difficult is it to get to the bulbs? I've been trying to find instructions on how to change the bulbs on the Car. It's a 2016 SE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lumens from Performance Improvements. I did some night testing last night and the fog lights now seem to light up trees (on a dark road where trees are close) on both sides of the road, although not a lot - but you could see the light on the trees as I toggled them on & off. I also got flashed a few times from oncoming drivers on a main county road. Wonder if the light pattern coming out has changed? You wouldn't think as it should be the reflector in the housing that controls where the light goes.
I can't tell you if the original bulbs lit up trees before as I didn't get a chance to check that before I changed them.
I just changed mine with H11 CREE LED bulbs from XenonDepot and I too noticed they light up trees but they sure do look nice! Not sure if we only notice it because they are brighter.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just replaced my OEM bulbs with the xenon bulbs mentioned above successfully! I just had one question...is it possible to turn on the fog lights without turning on the headlights? Or has it always been like that where your fog lights only turn on when your headlights are turned on...sorry for a noob question haha.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. And they go off when you go to high beams,

Hi,

I just replaced my OEM bulbs with the xenon bulbs mentioned above successfully! I just had one question...is it possible to turn on the fog lights without turning on the headlights? Or has it always been like that where your fog lights only turn on when your headlights are turned on...sorry for a noob question haha.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There is a mod for fogs to come on without headlights being on. Do a search for 'foglight mods' here. I did it to my '15 XLE - and they stay on when my high beams are on too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 rav 4 SE

love my new se ,but i don't like that the headlights do not match the fog lamps would like them to be the same colour any suggestions - led ? brand ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is possible if you do the installation from the grounded switch to the 3B pin 56. I did that and they go off only when the parking lights are off

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just letting you guys know, everyone is having a confusion regarding the 16+ rav4's fog light bulb part mix up.
Sylvania finally posted up the 2016 Rav4 light bulb guide chart. You can check out the link here Mine came with the LED headlight, and regular halogen fog light and I've pretty much swapped out every exterior/interior bulb in the car including the vanity, map, dome light, reverse light to white LEDs and planning to change the fog light to LED as well. Maybe I'll order the H16 to see if it really does not fit.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts