Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with the power liftgate that I loaded a laundry basket into the back. I apparently didn't push the basket in far enough and the liftgate found it as an obstacle and stopped as it should. From that point I can't get it to move via power. I can lift and close it manually, it's hard to lift, and it continually beeps when I try to shut it manually like it's still detecting an obstacle. I've tried to reset it numerous times and it beeps like it should, I've tried setting it on and off from the steering wheel, etc. but it still won't work. It does go through the stages of when I push the button it beeps and will go down about an inch then it stops. Push again and it beeps like it's going to raise but nothing. I've only got 3000 miles on it. It's not used a whole lot and the basket wasn't even heavy. Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does the same thing but when it is opened. It will only open a little bit and stop. I have the gate set to open all the way from the front. I am not sure why this is happening when I open the gate. Might be time to bring it in. I only have 280 miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem 1 month after i got the car. They replaced the control module and the motor. Mine was an umbrella that caused the problem. Its under warranty so get it replaced.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I didn't realize these rear liftgates were this delicate. It would seem there would be some type of reset button, for times when the door is prevented from closing for some reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine controller were broken after a week! I think it might have something to do with me forcing it shut, But I haven't got any issues after they replaced it under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I will be very aware of this going forward. This is the first vehicle I have owned, with the self-closing tailgate feature, and honestly, it is not something I need, or a necessary convenience for me. The fact it adds a sense of fraility to my RAV, makes me wish I had the old fashion, never fails, manual model, without loosing any of the other great features of the RAV4 Hybrid.

Reactions: csp

·
Registered
16 Posts
This makes me wonder what happens when you need to go to Home Depot for some 2x4's that hang out the back for the trip home. Can this function be disabled?

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
This makes me wonder what happens when you need to go to Home Depot for some 2x4's that hang out the back for the trip home. Can this function be disabled?
Good question. According to the manual, yes:

The power back door system can be disabled by operating the multi-information display.

Press or of the meter control switches and select on the multi-information display.

Press or of the meter control switches and select ,

and then press .

Select “System Settings” and then press .

Press . (“All Off” will be displayed on the multi-information dis-play.)

Each time is pressed, the system will be enabled/disabled.

Canceling the power back door system (vehicles with power back door)

Starts on page 113 of vehicle manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts