Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited with the Technology Package. I don't like that the Pre-collision system drops out when you get below about 28MPH. What good is it if it won't stop your car in the event of a possible collision? I've driven a 2016 Subaru with the same feature and it stops the car and starts again if the car ahead moves. Toyota really dropped the ball on this one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you sure its the pre-collision that stops working and not the lane departure alert? I ask because my Rav4 Hybrid has stopped it self when i was going around 20/30'smph making a turn where a guy slammed on his brakes and he was in my front blind spot.

Its also supposedly stopped when my ex fell asleep and almost rear ended a car at a red light and he was stopped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pre-collision system

No, it was the pre-collision system that dropped out as I was behind a car that was slowing down. It kept slowing me down until about 28 MPH and then it dropped out.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Pre-collision warning and/or braking start working at 7mph and up depending on conditions and the region the vehicle was purchased in, see Operational conditions starting on page 234 of the .pdf manual, not sure what page it's on in the paper manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pre collision system

Thanks for your quick reply Quickdtoo.
After reviewing the owners manual, I'm still confused. If the system starts at 7 MPH, how is it going to avoid a collision? Is there a difference between the "radar ready" cruise control and the "pre-collision" system?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I suspect dynamic radar cruise control braking and warning are tied to PCS, but on different input criteria. FWIW vehicle to vehicle cruise works great, but I have yet to have PCS work as I understand it should have, same for many others here as well, I have had more than a couple close calls that I had to deal with "manually"(as in defensive driving) that the system did nothing, so I wouldn't rely on it.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/234409-pcs-not-working.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bddave - you are referring to the Dynamic Cruise Control (DRCC) which does drop out at 28mph. The PCS works differently and flashes big red warning lights on the driver instrument panel and applies braking pressure. That will not drop out at 28MPH. My experience confirms these findings as it has activated several times in stop and go highway traffic for me.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
The only thing "poor" here is the OP's knowledge of the system before he bought it. All this information is available to any prospective buyer. The system works exactly as it is designed to work, so "poor" doesn't really apply. In fact it works "well" by that standard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the pre-collision system also steers to avoid a collision that's unavoidable by braking?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think mine works. I saw a red rectangular light flash where the fuel mileage or battery information is usually displayed on the instrument cluster.

I was barely driving over 35 mph and was likely driving slower in downtown Toronto this morning traffic was nit heavy but partially stop and go because of the lights.

Didn't feel any automated braking but I think heard an audible warming but what caught my attention was the red sign that flashed.

Good thing PCS is working on my wife's car though we didn't get to the point that automated braking became necessary. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am fairly certain that the radar cruise control stopped my car. I was on a 2 lane road with it set at 50. The car ahead of me began slowing down for a left turn. My car slowed down too as the car in front of me began slowing down. I was fascinated with how my car kept slowing down and so I just kept letting the car do its thing. I am pretty sure that my car came to a stop as the car in front finally stopped. I plan to verify this if I can this week.
I had never had a close encounter where I needed the PCS to do its thing. I just assume it works.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am fairly certain that the radar cruise control stopped my car. I was on a 2 lane road with it set at 50. The car ahead of me began slowing down for a left turn. My car slowed down too as the car in front of me began slowing down. I was fascinated with how my car kept slowing down and so I just kept letting the car do its thing. I am pretty sure that my car came to a stop as the car in front finally stopped. I plan to verify this if I can this week.
I had never had a close encounter where I needed the PCS to do its thing. I just assume it works.
There are multiple times on the freeway where I was using radar cruise when someone cut me off and swerved right into my lane directly in front of me.
The car slammed the brakes to increase distance between the front car and me.
When distance increased enough, the cruise resumed set speed.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Yesterday, while in a parking lot, going very slow, I had the center screen light up red, reading brake, when a car pulled in front of me. This was the first time this has happened, and it did surprise me. I was not aware of any braking. It is nice to have this additional overview and warning.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Okay, on my way home early evening, I got the red warning again and I noticed this time the word BRAKE in the center/foreground. I wasn't even driving at highway speed yet because there was a lot of stop and go traffic. I think I was about three or four feet away from the car in front.

Didn't feel the automatic braking kick in but maybe I was just sleepy or my driving reflexes are slowing down because of age.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Okay, on my way home early evening, I got the red warning again and I noticed this time the word BRAKE in the center/foreground. I wasn't even driving at highway speed yet because there was a lot of stop and go traffic. I think I was about three or four feet away from the car in front.

Didn't feel the automatic braking kick in but maybe I was just sleepy or my driving reflexes are slowing down because of age.
I do wonder if it would have braked, without my intervention. I was moving at less than 10mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 1 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited with the Technology Package. I don't like that the Pre-collision system drops out when you get below about 28MPH. What good is it if it won't stop your car in the event of a possible collision? I've driven a 2016 Subaru with the same feature and it stops the car and starts again if the car ahead moves. Toyota really dropped the ball on this one.
Apparently Toyota has seen the light and decided to follow Subaru's example and has added stopping/starting at 0 mph to its 2019 dynamic cruise control

·
Registered
717 Posts
The OP should just take Uber. If you can't, or don't WANT to drive the car, for God's sake get off the road, take a cab, or get a Tesla.
Please don't kill someone because of a false belief or just to prove a point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts