Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Canada so specs and operations may be slightly different from the US.

Going through the owner's manual, I come across some interesting tidbits on the back door locking (or lack of it).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI2SkaiTZVAzMnJfUDRFOVk/view?usp=sharing
Lock the back door again when you leave the vehicle. The back door will not lock automatically after it has been opened and then closed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI2SkaiTTVczQW1yYjdKc1k/view?usp=sharing
Power back door only (if equipped): The back door can be opened even if it is locked. The back door and side doors will be unlocked when the power back door is opened. Lock all the doors again when you leave the vehicle. All the doors will not lock automatically after the back door has been opened and then closed.

Although at first glance, the following sentence from the second link is reassuring, it doesn't seem to apply in this case because the back door was opened after the vehicle was unlocked and so the 60 second rule may not apply.

Security feature
If door is not opened within approximately 60 seconds after the vehicle is unlocked, the security feature automatically locks the vehicle again.

Is there any way to force the back door and all doors to lock, without having to 1) press the round button (second diagram on the first link), 2) press the key fob's lock button or 3) tap the lock sensor on the driver or front passenger side door handle? I'm okay pressing the round button, but I wouldn't even know that button existed and that all the doors remain unlocked after power back door closure until I read this section of the owner's manual.

Seems like a security issue for those who don't know the round button to lock the vehicle exists and wasn't aware that the 60 second locking rule doesn't apply in this case. Perhaps for some owners, they will have the key fob in their pockets or purses and not even think of pressing the lock button, which is one of the the advantages of the keyless system where owners don't have to fumble with it.

pg. 110 (Canadian Hybrid) does not mention any self locking mechanism apart from the 60 second rule.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49jnI2SkaiTSlpOQjJnR1VSMVk/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like everyone here presses the round button on the back door or uses the keyfob to lock their cars once the back door is closed (after grocery or some other shopping) and the car left inside the garage or driveway. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
To be safe, I always open the driver's door and press the lock button on the inside before I walk away. I did that with all of my vehicles. Just my paranoia based on experience with another (non-Toyota) car in the past.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bringing this back up because I was searching for a way to automatically lock the car when I move away from it with the key fob in a pocket.

I can't find it in the Owner's Manual either.

So to recap, you either

1) open door, hit the lock on the door panel and close the door.
2) open door, close door, touch the 2 little bars on the door handle.
3) open door, close door, touch the round button on the tailgate handle.
4) open door, walk away fetch the keys, hit the lock button on the key fob.
5)?

What I am looking for is open door, walk away, car locks when key fob is not detected after 20-30 seconds.

Nope?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts