Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Thomas from chicago and I'm new to the forum.
I'm look to buy the new 2016 se trim I test drove a white with black and cinnamon interior. I saw the one with black interior too.
I am looking one with Nav
What's the best price I can get. I am hoping I could get at least 10 % off Msrp.
I need Suggestion between fwd vs awd.
I have heard 4wd is better. Never had rav before I heard complaints about poor ride quality in older models.
I like the se model.
I currently drive a 2010 camry Le.
I saw local dealer having 1.9%
I am looking into 0% Internet
How soon that's will happen.
Thanks for all the inputs in advance
I just want to have a realiable small suv for the family. When comparing Rav 4 to Honda CR-V. I think the rav se look nice. I also heard about the shaking problem in CRV.
Thanks for all the inputs in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Thomas.

I recently (8 days ago) traded in my 2011 Camry LE for a 2016 RAV4 SE.

I love this suv. Mine is white with the black/cinnamon interior, too. It does not have the silver RAV4 trim on the outside, but the black which I thought was more attractive. I also don't have navigation as I really didn't want it. I've had family with nav in Toyota, Honda, and Hundai who all have different issues that could range from update issues to user issues to actual quality issues. I prefer my phone and/or Garmin. There's supposed to be an app that works through your phone and the entune system. Not there quite yet. Still figuring out the apps. I'll probably need to go in the dealer.

I did take my Mom, sister, and brother-in-law out for a drive across town (Houston) with my sister & her husband riding in the back seat. They said it was a fairly good ride, no complaints.

If I have a complaint, it is the lack of auto on/off headlights. Everything I have seen online has told me these are standard. My nephew is a Toyota salesman, and he told me they were standard. They did not have any SEs on the lot to check. In the whole scheme of things, this is minor.

As to price, sticker was 31,078, final deal was 28,185 (9.3% off sticker) with the 1.9% financing. All done through the dealer. They also gave me 9,500 (after initially offering 7,500) for the Camry, 200 over kbb trade-in.

Others here have used different pricing sources. I just went through the dealer. They were looking to move vehicles off the lot for the year end Toyotathon. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Lena,

I just looked at the 2016 brochure, and it does indeed say that the SE comes with auto on/off headlights. Not to sound insulting, but just in case you didn't know, you have to rotate the headlight stalk to the "Auto" position. Also, if you do have the auto on/off feature, if you push the stalk away from you and keep it in that position, you engage the auto high beam feature.

Or.....maybe you just don't have it. If so, that's a blatant misrepresentation by Toyota.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Hi Lena,

I just looked at the 2016 brochure, and it does indeed say that the SE comes with auto on/off headlights. Not to sound insulting, but just in case you didn't know, you have to rotate the headlight stalk to the "Auto" position. Also, if you do have the auto on/off feature, if you push the stalk away from you and keep it in that position, you engage the auto high beam feature.

Or.....maybe you just don't have it. If so, that's a blatant misrepresentation by Toyota.
This has been a huge topic lately.
It was the same situation in 2012 with the Tacoma TRD Sport indicated as having the auto-dimming rear view mirror.

The sales brochures are printed by the hundreds of thousands long before the first production vehicle rolls out of the factory.
Sometimes mistakes are made, and sometimes decisions are made to change features at the last minute.

The XLE and SE apparently do not have fully automatic headlights.
They do have auto-off... Close the door and lock it and they will shut off in 30 seconds. Tap the lock button a 2nd time and they go off immediately.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This has been a huge topic lately.
It was the same situation in 2012 with the Tacoma TRD Sport indicated as having the auto-dimming rear view mirror.

The sales brochures are printed by the hundreds of thousands long before the first production vehicle rolls out of the factory.
Sometimes mistakes are made, and sometimes decisions are made to change features at the last minute.

The XLE and SE apparently do not have fully automatic headlights.
They do have auto-off... Close the door and lock it and they will shut off in 30 seconds. Tap the lock button a 2nd time and they go off immediately.
Thanks for the explanation. That's a bit unfortunate for those who were expecting a feature based on the brochure and wind up not getting it. Gladly, in Lena's case, it wasn't a big deal to her.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
You are exactly right, and usually these brochures will have some fine print at the bottom of the last page with a disclaimer such as "Options and specifications are subject to change without notice."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lena for yr response. Congrats on the new ride. I like the white w/ black and cinnamon interior. Did u get some floor mats. I am wondering the difference between toyota rubber mats vs weather tech liner. I currently have weather tech rubber mats on my car it's good especially on winter time it won't freeze.
I will wait a little bit so the interest rate will come down to 0% that's what I am aiming for.
Lena please let me know if u find out about the app for Nav but I also heard about there is some drawbacks about it I couldn't recall it.
I saw a review in you tube for a white se has hood bug deflector. That's look good.
Lena gave us more of your driving experience.
By the way I am assuming u got AWD.
I heard awd have better driving dynamics.
Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also trying to figure out the difference between awd vs fwd. as far as driving dynamics. Any body have any inputs about it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Lena,

Actually Rob, I've had the auto on/off feature since what seems like the mid 90's, so I do know how they work and there is no "auto" on the stalk. No auto-off feature either. My saleslady and I tried it out in the lot. I may try again on my own and time it for a minute or so. It should be for 30 seconds, if I read right.

It was close to a deal breaker, actually, but I decided I like the RAV4 SE enough that I could deal with a little inconvenience. I am seeking clarification from Toyota, though. I started another thread on the auto on/off headlamp feature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Lena for yr response. Congrats on the new ride. I like the white w/ black and cinnamon interior. Did u get some floor mats. I am wondering the difference between toyota rubber mats vs weather tech liner. I currently have weather tech rubber mats on my car it's good especially on winter time it won't freeze.
I will wait a little bit so the interest rate will come down to 0% that's what I am aiming for.
Lena please let me know if u find out about the app for Nav but I also heard about there is some drawbacks about it I couldn't recall it.
I saw a review in you tube for a white se has hood bug deflector. That's look good.
Lena gave us more of your driving experience.
By the way I am assuming u got AWD.
I heard awd have better driving dynamics.
Thanks.
Sorry Thomas, I forgot to mention I have FWD. I didn't even test drive the AWD as that was out of my budget range on the SE.

No, I did not get the Toyota all weather mats. Being down here in Texas it is not really worth the extra cost. I just went to Target and got some inexpensive ones to put down on rainy days, and one to leave in the back for my rolling computer bag so the wheels don't destroy the SE mats. No hood bug deflector, though. I have the paint protector but that doesn't protect
for chips or bugs left on the paint.

I'll let you know about the apps. My saleslady was off on Saturday, so I'll have to connect with her later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lena
Thanks, I saw a YouTube video saying that it's free app.
Also what's going on with the auto on and off headlight switch. If there is no auto on switch that's bad. U have to manually turn it on I guess.
Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I need Suggestion between fwd vs awd. - AWD if you can afford it and if you have snow in your area.

I have heard 4wd is better. Never had rav before I heard complaints about poor ride quality in older models. - You will find the ride a lot rougher than your Camry. Because the RAV is tall they put on a more stiff suspension to stop rollover in case you hit a corner hard.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Lena
Thanks, I saw a YouTube video saying that it's free app.
Also what's going on with the auto on and off headlight switch. If there is no auto on switch that's bad. U have to manually turn it on I guess.
Thanks.
Actually Rob, I've had the auto on/off feature since what seems like the mid 90's, so I do know how they work and there is no "auto" on the stalk. No auto-off feature either. My saleslady and I tried it out in the lot. I may try again on my own and time it for a minute or so. It should be for 30 seconds, if I read right.

It was close to a deal breaker, actually, but I decided I like the RAV4 SE enough that I could deal with a little inconvenience. I am seeking clarification from Toyota, though. I started another thread on the auto on/off headlamp feature.
If there is no "auto" position on the stalk, then the lights are auto-off, but were intended to be operated manually.

The difference between "auto" as on the Limited, and "auto off" on the LE/XLE/SE is that with the true "auto" the lights react to the sensor on the dash, running DRLs during the day, and switching to headlights at night.
The Limited also features auto-dimming high beams that shut off for oncoming traffic.

The "auto off" on the LE/XLE/SE MAY be left in the "on" position all the time.
When you get into your Rav and start the engine, the lights will turn on (normal headlights, not DRL).
When you get out and shut your door and lock it, the lights will shut off after a delay, or if you hit "lock" on the remote a second time, they will shut off immediately.

Only thing is, it is annoying because the headlight alarm is sounding when you're getting out of the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a quick question. When I was doing the build and price on toyota website. I choose white exterior and it won't let me pick the cinnamon interior. What's u guys think about the 1300 Jbl, Nav and the entune? I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Thomas. My wife bought a 2014 and I bought a 2015 Rav. Both were bought at the same dealership in Park Ridge Brederman Toyota. We both bought them in late July and early August that's because they had the 0% at that time of year. They might have the 0% more than once a year. I am not sure on that. This dealership did take very good care of us. Also with the new car purchase they gave us 4 years of free oil changes. My wife had a bubble on the interior passenger front door. No questions asked. They took one look at it and had if fixed under warranty. So far they have treated us right and we have been happy with them. My AWD XLE was listed at 28 thousand and some change. Out the door if I am not mistaken was 23,200 with the extended Toyota care warranty for 7years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a quick question. When I was doing the build and price on toyota website. I choose white exterior and it won't let me pick the cinnamon interior. What's u guys think about the 1300 Jbl, Nav and the entune? I think it's worth it.
After watching family members work with the Toyota nav system, I decided I didn't want it or the extra cost. My Mom's nav in her 2012 Highlander is constantly way off course and many streets and roads just are not there that have been there for years. And that's after updating.

Either the dealership did a crappy job of teaching them how to use it, or it's just not easy to use.

My Garmin is much better, so we usually bring the Garmin when we use Mom's Highlander. My sister prefers her iphone for nav, but has a Hyundai nav in her car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Lena.
But the package is not just the Nav it has Jbl system and entune. I always feel like factory Nav is bad. When I bought my camry last time I put aftermarket Nav the new Honda Pilot Nav is garmin which is good.
How is your driving experience so far. I hope u don't feel the road much with the 18 inche wheels I feel like it's more harsh ride compare to other trims.

Hey u know the bug deflector I was taking earlier it's actually Canadian. It's look good on the white car.
Anybody know where I can order that.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
548 Posts
... We both bought them in late July and early August that's because they had the 0% at that time of year. They might have the 0% more than once a year. I am not sure on that...
I bought my RAV4 during February, and it was 0% at that time as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts