Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a RAV4 two months ago and found the seat is really discomfort after one week. Didn't notice this on test drive. The front seat have 3 pads between each pad, if you push down, you can feel a stiff wire or cable down there. I think that causes the problem, just like sitting on top of the stiff wire make pain in the ass and pressure on the tailbone. I think this is a horrible design and quite surprised Toyota use this seat on this model since 2013 without any major complaint. Did anyone here notice this problem at all?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a RAV4 two months ago and found the seat is really discomfort after one week. Didn't notice this on test drive. The front seat have 3 pads between each pad, if you push down, you can feel a stiff wire or cable down there. I think that causes the problem, just like sitting on top of the stiff wire make pain in the ass and pressure on the tailbone. I think this is a horrible design and quite surprised Toyota use this seat on this model since 2013 without any major complaint. Did anyone here notice this problem at all?
How heavy are you, height/weight?

·
Registered
71 Posts
How heavy are you, height/weight?[/QUOTE

I am only 150 pounds and 5 feet 10", not big guy at all. I owned several cars before, seats comfortable more or less, the RAV4 seat is no doubt the worst one.
150 lbs in a 5'10 frame, you are fit!

Could it be that your seat (foam) is defective? cause you should not be able to feel the wire/cable in the first place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
150 lbs in a 5'10 frame, you are fit!

Could it be that your seat (foam) is defective? cause you should not be able to feel the wire/cable in the first place.

Thanks, I'll go to dealer to check that, maybe I am a bit sensitive for that pressure down there. It's the first car I owned which has obvious wire/cable things there. Just don't understand why Toyota design the seat like this, can't imagine if a 250 pounds big guy sitting in this seat, gosh

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my 2016 Rav4 Friday, Im 6'3" tall 225 had many cars the driver seat is killing my leg , the preasure along my right leg hip area.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There are a few other posts about this same topic on the 2015 model. A few find the seats very uncomfortable almost to the point of trading the RAV in while it seems that most find the seats fine. I am 240 pounds and have taken one 12 hour trip (to much for one day) and a number of 8 hour trips and I have no problems with the seats on my 2015 XLE. If the dealer can't help you, maybe you should take it into someone who re-covers seats and have them rework yours.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
You should not be able to feel the wire. The wires are pretty deep; this tells me that the foam is defective.
Try other RAV4s at the dealer lot to see if they are all the same.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm 5'10"/170 lbs and I agree with you that the driver's seat is uncomfortable. In fact, my passengers tell me that ALL the seats are uncomfortable!

I bought my 2016 SE in July and have yet to find a setting where it doesn't cause discomfort on my rear butt bones and tailbone. Did not have this problem on my 2002 Sienna XLE, but those seats were like lounge chairs. Even my 1991 4Runner which had manual lumbar and side bolster adjustments was 1000 times more comfortable than the SE's.

I have the power seats, but even with the lumbar adjusted all the way at 100%, it still feels like it's not enough. I'm thinking this is why I'm having pain in the buttocks and tailbone. I'm going to add this mesh lumbar support to see if it helps. It's only a few buck at my local Walgreens.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the 2016 xle and find the drivers seat very comfortable an infinitely adjustable, including lumber support. Passenger seat less so. Do wish the electrically fully adjustable front passenger seat was an option, but it's not, probably because it would not be a viable investment for Toyota. My research would indicate most manufacturers don't offer this option other than very high end marks. Pity.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Update:
So I took one of our kitchen chair seat cushions and tried it out. Guess what? MY ASS DOESN'T HURT ANYMORE!!!

It looks pretty ghetto though as my RAV's interior is black and the cushion is brown. It is also very thick and even with my seat in its lowest position, I'm sitting pretty high now and my head bangs into everything. But I've been driving with the cushion for the last 3 days and it is very comfortable. I only wish that the cushion was a little longer so that my legs get a little more support.

The fact is that the 2016 RAV4 SE's seats ARE very hard and painful for some people and a simple kitchen seat cushion remedied the problem. I only wish that Toyota had designed the seats with more comfortable material to begin with. I will post a pic of my ghetto seat when I have time.

Update #2 (9/4/16):
Picked this up at Costco. Height is about 1.5". For memory foam and gel, it feels kinda hard, but it has enough give that it WORKS! I don't feel the hardness of the seat. Only a long trip will tell.

Update #3 (9/22/16)
The Costco memory foam and gel cushion proved to be too hard still. Tailbone hurting again. Back to the good ole kitchen chair seat cushion. Ahhhhh....feels great!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts