Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

If this post is a duplicated please excuse this.

I could really use some help here since I am having issues with finding out this information. I just bought a 2016 Rav4 XLE and I am looking at installing a VIP 3200+ alarm on my car. I search all over the internet and they are saying that the model with a VIN JT does not have the wiring for the alarm.

Ok so I pulled out the glove box and low and behold there is the connector. see attached picture. I called Toyota and a few dealers and I and not having much luck with this. To me if the connector is there the circuit should be I could be wrong but how could Toyota make 2 different wires for two different cars. It just is not cost effective from a manufacturing stand point.

I really am sick of Toyota since I think there info is incorrect and to speak to someone who know exactly is not easy to find. One dealer inputed my VIN and say it will work yet the install doc says not for a JT vin. Totally pissed at Toyota for not a straight answer. I came from and Acura and did not except this from the number two car manufacturer in the world.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what it's worth, here are a couple photos of the wire harness on my 2015 XLE model which was produced in Canada. My XLE came with the oem security system. I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the VIP RS 3200 is what they install in the XLE and Limited version in Canada. I find that the dealerships strictly go by the VIN and unless the computer tells them, they don't know and can't help you. I have provided them with USA Toyota Part Numbers and they had no clue what it was or if it was compatible.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
I also have a J-VIN vehicle and wanted to install the VIP RS3200 +, but was put off because of the same info that you have found. I didn't see the connector when I removed the glovebox on mine during cabin air filter maintenance, but I didn't look too hard, maybe I will have to revisit that. I would check behind the dummy plate on the right side of the steering wheel for the harness for the LED/ microphone insert, and if that is there, then I think the vehicle is alarm-ready.
You are right, it just is not cost effective from a manufacturing stand point to make multiple harnesses. Case in point, the LE does not come with foglights, but the harness and connectors for it are there.
If you do get the module and it does not work, you could resell it on Ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, thanks for your assistance I greatly appreciate it. What is really irking me is that I can not get a strait answer from Toyota. I feel like I called Ford for a Toyota support.
I will check behind the dash for the sensor plug also. Whipaway, That is why I am scratching my head. Your JT has no plug or you could not find it. It was easy to find it was the only plug there not plugged in to anything.

What year is your Rav4 with the JT vin?
Also mine is a XLE I think I forgot to mention this before.

Slash65 thanks for sending me the pictures. Does any one have the wiring diagram for the Japanese versus the Canadian model? I think I could then trace the wires to verify if it would work.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
You are right, it just is not cost effective from a manufacturing stand point to make multiple harnesses. Case in point, the LE does not come with foglights, but the harness and connectors for it are there.
If you do get the module and it does not work, you could resell it on Ebay.
But Toyota did exactly that in the 4.3 RAV4! Let's hope that the connectors are actually there for what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Toyota did exactly that in the 4.3 RAV4! Let's hope that the connectors are actually there for what you are trying to do.
From my picture and Slash65 pictures look the same even the color wires.. I agree with you that is why if I had the wiring diagram I could totally verify the wires on the connector.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I pulled the glovebox on my 2013 LE and YES the connector is there! Next step for me is to see if the connector for the LED/mic is hiding behind the dummy plate on the right side of the dash, unless someone else can check on theirs sooner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts