Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if RAV4 Hybrid cabin noise is actually noiser than gas version during highway ride? I wonder if any other RAV4 hybrid owner annoyed by the cabin noise during highway ride.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The 2016 RAV4 Hybrid not a Lexus in terms of quietness that's for sure, but it's noticeably better than my 2012 Prius Plug-in, and way, way better than our 2008 Yaris hatchback (which the RAV4 Hybrid replaced).

I can't compare against the gas RAV4 since I have not tested one.

And it also depends on the tires.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Both the XLE Hybrid and Limited Hybrid I've driven are quieter than my 2015 Limited was, could be partially related to tires, the Hybrid XLE had Bridgestone 422 Plus tires, the Limited Hybrid has Yoko Geolandars, and the gas Limited had Toyo A20s, but the Hybrids do have more visible body insulation than the 2015.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I drove the 2016 gas and hybrid RAV4 back to back. I thought there was no question the hybrid was quieter and the ride along dealer also agreed (if that means anything).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the feedback. Is Rav 4 noisiest small SUVs among others like Honda CR-V or Mazda MX-5? I have a hard time believing Toyota does not do better than other car manufacturers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Noise

Thanks again for the feedback. Is Rav 4 noisiest small SUVs among others like Honda CR-V or Mazda MX-5?
My cars have included Datsun 510, Ford 150, Toyota Tercel, and two Saturn SL. I would say that my 2015 RAV4 with Blizzak tires is more quiet than every car I have ever owned. I can talk easily and I can listen to music at low volume. If it is possible to make it more quiet, I don't care. I am happy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My cars have included Datsun 510, Ford 150, Toyota Tercel, and two Saturn SL. I would say that my 2015 RAV4 with Blizzak tires is more quiet than every car I have ever owned. I can talk easily and I can listen to music at low volume. If it is possible to make it more quiet, I don't care. I am happy.
Never test drive a Lexus then. ;) Or perhaps even a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid?

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you've owned a Saturn SL, anything is quieter. I loved mine but damn, it was the noisiest car I ever owned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In addition to additional insulation, floor and doors, Toyota claims to have "tweaked" the rear suspension for 2016 to deliver a smoother, quieter ride- I haven't yet test-driven one (will soon), so I speak only from what I've read in various sources...

·
Registered
425 Posts
It is OK not but not really quiet. Has anyone checked out which possibilities there are to further reduce noise level.

Usually its easy to do the trunk of the car with "Dynamat" or similar. There was a lot of plastic covers everywhere in the trunk of my Hybrid.

I suspect the doors could benefit from some dampening aswell.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Some users have installed replacement tires instead of the OEM Geolandar tires which helped to reduce the noise, but I find the car to be really quiet already so I cannot complain about noise

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm observing lots of noises from RAV4 Limited Hybrid, especially on freeways (> 60/65 mph speed) and rough roads, from 1st day on-wards. It's just a week old vehicle.
Was getting windy noise on top, tires noise below, noise from car cabin ... And suspension was not good on little rough roads too...
Overall, my trips are not at all smooth. I'm not feeling its as a new car, instead feeling as some 10 yrs old car/suv.

I'm wondering if you could resolve these issues with RAV4 Hybrid?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If everyone is saying that RAV4 HYbrid is quiet for its class, check your tire pressure. Bring it down to 32psi.
I have to ask if you took a similar RAV for a test drive on the highway before you purchased the vehicle and how it felt then.

Also, update your profile so others know what vehicle you have.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Compared to the 2015 Limited I had, the 2016 Limited Hybrid is much quieter and rides quite a bit nicer, everyone that's ridden in them has said the same thing, so it's not just my perception.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Compared to the 2015 Limited I had, the 2016 Limited Hybrid is much quieter and rides quite a bit nicer, everyone that's ridden in them has said the same thing, so it's not just my perception.
2015 limited must've been horrible ride comfort.
my 2016 limited hybrid is not very smooth over bumpy roads. could be the low profile tires on 18" rims.
I want to try larger tires with more sidewall.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Of course, my Hybrid has the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus tires and I do not notice any unusual cabin noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We've had our 2016 Hybrid for 4 weeks now and we're pretty happy with the overall noise level. It's relative since it replaced a 2002 Honda Odyssey which was very noisy.

Compared to our 2 year old Audi SQ5, the new RAV4 is a bit noisier at highway speeds especially under hard acceleration when the CVT is doing it's thing.

We test drove the CRV and the CX5, I thought the CRV was noisier and the XC5 was about the same from what I remember.

Too bad an annoying rattle from the driver side A pillar developed a couple of weeks ago, can't seem to pin point it yet.
It's my wife's daily driver so I'll be enlisted to debug it if it gets too annoying

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sound insulation is better than on our 11 Accord coupe.

Right at the back is jarring when the car goes over deep enough depressed sewer covers / potholes. Front suspension is definitely more forgiving.

As long as the suspension takes the abuse, I'm okay with the jolt here and there.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts