Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new RAV4 Hybrid in January. First time RAV owner and it's great. First week of having car, a Hybrid malfunction appeared and the dealer said easy fix except for me having to take the car in for two hours.
Latest issue, started three weeks ago and it was a buzzing noise that would start and stop after going 25 mph. Couldn't quite make out where it was coming from and was hoping it would go away. Last week, the noise turned up a notch and it is coming from under the backseat, right side. It's like a fan noise that just buzzes anytime the car is on. I took the car in and the dealer said that part is back ordered a couple of weeks(!), but no real information on what it is?
So, suffering with that terrible noise until that part comes in. Any thoughts on what it is?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Probably the traction battery cooling fan. Not something you want to have go out.
Be sure that both the air intake grills on the sides of the seat are clear, and the little space behind the seat back is clear. Its supposed to run at variable speeds according to the battery temp. If you have a scan-gauge you can monitor both the battery temp and fan speed. Sounds like the dealer is on top of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm actually pretty scared about this. I don't have this problem yet but if this is real problem, I have to trade his car in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just heard from the dealer today and he said the fan noise is part of the motor that helps the hybrid cool off. The car should be fine outside of the noise. Unfortunately, the part is back-ordered, so, waiting patiently for now.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just heard from the dealer today and he said the fan noise is part of the motor that helps the hybrid cool off. The car should be fine outside of the noise. Unfortunately, the part is back-ordered, so, waiting patiently for now.
Yes its fine. If the fan quits you get a warning from the system. The system should also shut down if the battery is over-heated. Its actually a small 12v fan much like what you see in a computer tower. Its rare for them to cause problems, but it happens. Its located under the back seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer called on Friday and said the part had arrived. On Saturday, I dropped my car off and the Blower Assembly was replaced. The dealer said it was a bit complicated getting to the blower and it took some time, but everything is working fine now. After a free car wash and tire dressing, the car is back on the road (yeah!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts