Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Interesting review and suggestions by the reviewer that the hybrid RAV is best for mostly stop and go, short trip, and and in town driving, while if most of one's driving on the highway a gasoline-only RAV and the Mazda CX-5 would be better choices.

Reactions: RobLTD

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting review and suggestions by the reviewer that the hybrid RAV is best for mostly stop and go, short trip, and and in town driving, while if most of one's driving on the highway a gasoline-only RAV and the Mazda CX-5 would be better choices.
I'm assuming that the reviewer suggests this as only a cost factor (and not performance), since there is no mpg advantage on the highway as both hybrid and gasoline models are rated 31 mpg.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
If most of my driving were local with only an occasional trip to the nearest large town, 30 miles each direction) I would prefer an EV since electricity is relatively inexpensive here and an EV would require relatively little maintenance. The RAV hybrid would be a good compromise if some more highway miles would be involved. For our longer distance mountain roads I wouldn't wan to part with my V6 RAV, both for our very limited and short passing opportunities and for towing purposes. Also my V6 Base RAV with optional enhanced value package was $6000 less expensive than a rather comparable RAV hybrid. One's choice obviously is an individual one. But the hybrid RAV appears to be a very worthwhile vehicle for lots of users, even if I don't fully trust MT reviews, given their past history of favoritism for advertisers and some terrible recommendations.

From a JuneBug post:
I take everything Motor Trend says with a grain of salt. These are the people who voted some of the worst vehicles as car of the year:

Chevrolet Vega
Ford Mustang II
Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare
Chevrolet Citation
AMC / Renault Alliance
Chrysler PT Cruiser

Reactions: blueumbrella

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm assuming that the reviewer suggests this as only a cost factor (and not performance), since there is no mpg advantage on the highway as both hybrid and gasoline models are rated 31 mpg.
The hybrid Rav4 will still have a range advantage and an acceleration advantage at the lower end of highway speeds. If you are mainly driving hilly roads, then the Mazda would be the best choice. I really have a hard time seeing how the gas Rav4 would ever be the better choice unless you are buying the LE or hate the limited colors the hybrid comes in.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts

The Hybrid is rated 31/34mpg and is only made in AWD, the gas AWD is rated 22/29mpg.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been averaging 35 mpg on the highway and just over 35 mpg combined driving. Very happy with this car in all respects, except for the fm radio output.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have not had ours on the highway long enough to confirm or refute the wind/tire noise comment. Has anyone else noticed this during an extended freeway drive (more than 1 hour)?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Have not had ours on the highway long enough to confirm or refute the wind/tire noise comment. Has anyone else noticed this during an extended freeway drive (more than 1 hour)?
Its WAY quieter than my previous Prius, I have non OE tires though.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
From the review:
...And, if freeway mileage is of ultimate concern, those buyers might look elsewhere at some of the competition, such as the Mazda CX-5 that is rated as high as 35 miles per gallon on the highway...
Slight apples to oranges comparo there. The 35mpg--that's the CX with the 2.0 liter 2WD and manual transmission. If you upgrade to the CX with 2.5 liter 4WD auto tranny, it is 24/30mpg. Similar to the gas RAV.

And if 'a lot of freeway' is your concern, is a 2.0 liter your best choice?

Reactions: Hill2Pay

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
From a JuneBug post:
I take everything Motor Trend says with a grain of salt. These are the people who voted some of the worst vehicles as car of the year:

Completely agree with you, regarding the lack of quality, in Motor Trend recommendations and reviews of vehicles. It is very difficult to determine the degree of bias included in each review.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts