Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m trying to make sense of the information found online about the hybrids towing capacity. I've read that the Rav4 hybrid had a towing capacity of 3600 lbs but according to Toyota Canada's website its only 1750 lbs. Did someone drop the ball on this or did Toyota change their mind?

·
Registered
424 Posts
No way it could be 3,600 pounds. That's about as much as the car itself weighs. Don't know the ratio, but the a vehicle must outweigh whatever it is towing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
No way it could be 3,600 pounds. That's about as much as the car itself weighs. Don't know the ratio, but the a vehicle must outweigh whatever it is towing.
Tried to find some data on how heavy a tow vehicle should be compared to what it is towing, and didn't find much. Just a bunch a talk about gross vehicle weight and such stuff. One person gave the example that semi tractors weigh much less that what they are towing. So, it must be something else.

However, for us non-professional semi truck drivers, we should adhere to towing much less than what we weigh. In this case, with the hybrid, it is rated to tow about half of what it weights.

I learned from personal experience one day when using my Ford Ranger 4.0 liter six cylinder to tow my Mercedes coupe into the shop. It was about a fifty mile trip, up and down over some pretty long, sustained hills. I learned very quickly that if I didn't keep my speed below about fifty mph, that I'd tend to fishtail. And, going faster tended to lift up the front end of the Ranger slightly, thereby losing all steering control. (It was a dumb thing to do, and I never did it again. Just too dangerous.)

·
Super Moderator
11,227 Posts
Have the OFFICIAL Toyota figures come out yet? I can't believe that a 4 banger Hybrid will tote 100lbs more than a 4.3 V-6

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the Toyota Canada numbers are correct.

·
Registered
627 Posts
the a vehicle must outweigh whatever it is towing.
Hmm....???? Then how on earth Highlander weights 4,300 lb, but can tow 5,000 lb, FJ Cruiser weight 4,200 lb, but can tow 5,000 lb, and Land Cruiser weights 5,800 lb, but can tow 8,100 lb? Actually, Land Cruiser's towing rating is more than the weight of a fully loader car, with passengers and cargo.

Many vehicles are rated to tow significantly more than their curb weight.

Now, it's very unlikely that the Hybrid RAV will be rated anything higher than 2,000 lb, not because of its weight, but because higher towing rating would require reinforcing suspension and body, bigger brakes, etc.

·
Registered
424 Posts
katekebo, I corrected myself in the second post, (#3), giving the example of semi tractor trailers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked up the 2012 rav4 towing specs and the I4 was rated at 1500 lbs and the v6 is rated at 3500 lbs. I'm pretty sure everything else on the rav is the same. Either way I got the answer to my question. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid owners manual:

GCWR*
6710 lb. (3045 kg)
TWR*
1750 lb. (795 kg)
Unbraked TWR*
1000 lb. (450 kg)

GCWR is the total vehicle including passenger, cargo and fuel plus the total trailer weight.
TWR is total trailer weight if the trailer has brakes.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It wouldn't be the first time Toyota has published conflicting information.

Probably won't be the last.

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The European Rav4 hybrid will tow 3637lbs (1650kg). The European Diesel 2,3L tows 4409 lbs (2000kg). strange that the american version tows so much less.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Difference in Towing Capacities ... European vs US Rav4?

The European Rav4 hybrid will tow 3637lbs (1650kg). The European Diesel 2,3L tows 4409 lbs (2000kg). strange that the american version tows so much less.
Does anyone know why the apparently identical hybrid Rav4s have such a difference in towing capacities? I could use that extra capacity.

·
Registered
270 Posts
750 kg for the European hybrid without brakes. That's ~1650 lbs.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Does anyone know why the apparently identical hybrid Rav4s have such a difference in towing capacities? I could use that extra capacity.
I'd be surprised if it weren't mostly the lawyers, how sue-happy a country is, etc.

However, I've always wondered if it also has something to do with geography and weather. For example, Toyota doesn't know if "in the United States" means Alaska in the dead of winter or Death Valley in the brutal summer.

Heat is murder on transmissions, especially when towing. If it doesn't ever get to be close to, for example, 125° F in the shade in a European country, that may have something to do with the higher ratings there.

But I confess, that's just a guess as to one possible factor.

·
Registered
124 Posts
From the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid owners manual:

GCWR*
6710 lb. (3045 kg)
TWR*
1750 lb. (795 kg)
Unbraked TWR*
1000 lb. (450 kg)

GCWR is the total vehicle including passenger, cargo and fuel plus the total trailer weight.
TWR is total trailer weight if the trailer has brakes.

Yet in the UK, a similarly equipped 2.5l Hybrid has an unbraked towing capacity of 750 Kg (1650 lbs.) and a braked towing capacity of 1650 Kg (3630 lbs.).

It all appears to be due to different test procedures and possible marketing strategies by Toyota US. There's much more money in selling their trucks than in their small SUVs so guess which one gets the higher tow rating...

Since in the UK they say it's acceptable to tow up to 3630 pounds with a trailer having brakes on it, that's just as 'safe' here in the US in my opinion. And since there's nothing in the insurance policy I have in Massachusetts to say they won't cover the vehicle/trailer if I tow over the manufacturer's published guidelines - I'm going to take the risk and ignore them.

Why can they tow a 3630 pound 'caravan' in the UK legally and safely but I'm limited to 1750 pounds here in the US? It's ridiculous in my opinion and not worth worrying about if the proper tow-hitch is mounted to the vehicle.

As to the hitch - the only factory one offered is a Class-I hitch. Class I hitches are weight carrying (WC) hitches rated up to 2000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 200 lbs.
A Class I hitch usually has a 1-1/4" square receiver opening.
A higher class drawbar does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch.
Class I hitches usually attach to the bumper, truck pan or vehicle frame.

Toyota's Class I hitch mounts far more securely than the aftermarket ones in my opinion and is also tucked up higher under the rear bumper cover so it's less visible and doesn't significantly reduce the vehicle's ground clearance.

I think I'm going to put down a deposit on that 1670 pound (dry) [email protected] Max-S and keep it under the 2000 lbs limit of the Toyota Class-I hitch. Screw the published tow rating... It's all marketing and not based on the actual safe towing limit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to be picky but since I'm a new owner (2016 Limited Hybrid) and searching for hitches, etc. I just checked the link above and both Hybrid models list a towing capacity of 1750 - the Non-Hybrid models are listed at 1500.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And Toyota doesn't say how they arrived at that towing capacity, do they... The SAE test procedure allows them to publish a LOWER capacity than what testing may have revealed for any reason they see fit. In England it's 3630 pounds. In USA and Canada it's 1750 pounds. Is there something Toyota North America isn't telling us??? Yeah - "There's more profit in pickup trucks than small SUVs".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts