Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the release date gets closer (but still unspecified), more information is coming out. As I find things of interest, I'll post them in this thread so that I don't clog the forum with different threads. Obviously, feel free to add any info that you have as well.

I'll start with a Toyota commercial that just came out on Youtube this morning for the hybrid. Complete with cheesy Euro music in the background, so maybe it's waiting for a voiceover:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
I'll start with a Toyota commercial that just came out on Youtube this morning for the hybrid. Complete with cheesy Euro music in the background, so maybe it's waiting for a voiceover: Toyota RAV4 Hybrid 2016 - YouTube
Yeah, that's definitely a European commercial--ready for dubbing in many languages. Notice the speedometer has km/h only, and the gas gauge shows 1/1 instead of F. And finally the slogan--"Toyota-Always a Better Way." Here the slogan is "Toyota-Let's Go Places."

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's definitely a European commercial--ready for dubbing in many languages. Notice the speedometer has km/h only, and the gas gauge shows 1/1 instead of F. And finally the slogan--"Toyota-Always a Better Way." Here the slogan is "Toyota-Let's Go Places."
Excellent observations!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is there any audio on the video that igorts posted? That looked like a U.S. version video, (noted by the mph on the speedometer).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I came across this interesting article on a web site calling itself "ToyotaUSANews."

Not sure what the writer's native language is but it probably wasn't English.

Here's an example: "The 2016 Toyota RAV4 will have an automatic engine with a set of four 2.5 liter cylinders and 176 hp and 172 kg torque feet."

2016 Toyota RAV4 News and Price - Toyota USA News

·
Registered
424 Posts
I came across this interesting article on a web site calling itself "ToyotaUSANews."

Here's an example: "The 2016 Toyota RAV4 will have an automatic engine with a set of four 2.5 liter cylinders and 176 hp and 172 kg torque feet."

2016 Toyota RAV4 News and Price - Toyota USA News
Should probably work on their currency conversions too.

The official price of the 2016 Toyota RAV4 has not yet been revealed but it is expected to be between US$ 35000 and 50000, a price that sounds way cheap considering the features it comes with.
For the hybrid, which will only be available in Limited trim, I'd believe $35k. My guess it that most of them will be around $36k-$37k.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the hybrid, which will only be available in Limited trim, I'd believe $35k. My guess it that most of them will be around $36k-$37k.
I hope you're right. My wife is hot to get one (in place of her v) and $50k seemed, err, rather steep.

BTW, is there any news on the anticipated mpg for a RAV4 Hybrid? I see comparisons with the Lexus NX300H, which only gets 35 mpg (+/-).

OTOH, the Camry Hybrid and the Avalon Hybrid get 40 mpg. I hope the RAV gets closer to 40.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts

We have discussed that site here before. Bottom line is, you can't believe anything posted there. A lot of it is fiction and pure fantasy. And it's not even based in the USA.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hope you're right. My wife is hot to get one (in place of her v) and $50k seemed, err, rather steep.

BTW, is there any news on the anticipated mpg for a RAV4 Hybrid? I see comparisons with the Lexus NX300H, which only gets 35 mpg (+/-).

OTOH, the Camry Hybrid and the Avalon Hybrid get 40 mpg. I hope the RAV gets closer to 40.

I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed, especially if the majority of your driving isn't around town...

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/37110.shtml

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed, especially if the majority of your driving isn't around town...

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/37110.shtml
I think we can expect those numbers to be fairly accurate. At least that's my experience with the Lexus RX400h that was replaced by my current RAV.

The city/hwy/combined for that RX is 27/25/26. And, that is pretty close to what I got, (i.e., 26 mpg combined). The difference between the RX400h and the RX330 is eight miles per gallon.

The RAV4 hybrid shows 34/31/33 vs. the 'normal' RAV4 getting 23/30/26, is a seven miles per gallon difference. In the handfull of fillups in my new RAV, I've been getting right at 26 mpg. So, I tend to believe that RAV hybrid owners will get pretty close to 33mpg.

Hybrid cars rarely are cost efficient. The premium for a hybrid drivetrain over the normal drivetrain means that you will have to keep the hybrid until the next ice age for you to 'earn' back that premium cost. Still, hybrids are fun to drive.

p.s. That web site shows the NX300h has a 14.8 gallon fuel tank which makes it good for 474 miles on a tank of gas. If we assume the hybrid is like the Highlander/RX 'under the skin', then we can assume the same for the Toyota hybrid. That's a nice range.

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ouch. That doesn't look good compared to other hybrids. Even the highlander only fares a little worse but then again most of the other hybrids aren't AWD and that probably results in a toll on fuel efficiency over all.

Compare Side-by-Side

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think we can expect those numbers to be fairly accurate. At least that's my experience with the Lexus RX400h that was replaced by my current RAV.

The city/hwy/combined for that RX is 27/25/26. And, that is pretty close to what I got, (i.e., 26 mpg combined). The difference between the RX400h and the RX330 is eight miles per gallon.

The RAV4 hybrid shows 34/31/33 vs. the 'normal' RAV4 getting 23/30/26, is a seven miles per gallon difference. In the handfull of fillups in my new RAV, I've been getting right at 26 mpg. So, I tend to believe that RAV hybrid owners will get pretty close to 33mpg.

Hybrid cars rarely are cost efficient. The premium for a hybrid drivetrain over the normal drivetrain means that you will have to keep the hybrid until the next ice age for you to 'earn' back that premium cost. Still, hybrids are fun to drive.

p.s. That web site shows the NX300h has a 14.8 gallon fuel tank which makes it good for 474 miles on a tank of gas. If we assume the hybrid is like the Highlander/RX 'under the skin', then we can assume the same for the Toyota hybrid. That's a nice range.
Looks like boxiness is no good. Can't defeat the Laws of Physics, specifically aerodynamics. :(

Glad we are not going to get rid of our 11 Accord 4 cylinder with 5 A/T (26/22/33)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30629

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks like boxiness is no good. Can't defeat the Laws of Physics, specifically aerodynamics. :(
Yeah, I think you're right. I was thinking the weight of the vehicles might have something to do with it. The Highlander comes in at around 4,400 pounds, (850-1000 pounds more than the Avalon/Camry/RAV4), so that would help explain the higher consumption. Also, they are not very aerodynamic, as you allude to.

However, the Camry is only 100-150 pounds less than a RAV4 while the Avalon is the same weight as the RAV4. Obviously, weight is not a factor in the poor fuel consumption of the RAV4. It must be the aerodynamics of the vehicles, as you say.

But . . . us with our RAV4s can certainly haul a lot more junk than a Camry or an Avalon. So, if you want comfort and fuel economy, get a Camry or an Avalon. If you want to go camping or make runs to the hardware store, get a RAV4.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right. I was thinking the weight of the vehicles might have something to do with it. The Highlander comes in at around 4,400 pounds, so that would help explain the higher consumption. Also, they are not very aerodynamic, as you allude to.

However, the Camry is only 100-150 pounds less than a RAV4 while the Avalon is the same weight as the RAV4. Obviously, weight is not a factor in the poor fuel consumption of the RAV4. It must be the aerodynamics of the vehicles, as you say.

But . . . us with our RAV4s can certainly haul a lot more junk than a Camry or an Avalon. So, if you want comfort and fuel economy, get a Camry or an Avalon. If you want to go camping or make runs to the hardware store, get a RAV4.
I've already set my eyes out (on behalf of my wife :) ) on the the RAV4 Hybrid. She wants a SUV this time around and I think the RAV4 Hybrid is a great enough car -- AWD (Canada is a winter wonderland), Hybrid (gasoline costs more here in Canada), first (or alongside the new Prius) vehicle to get the Toyota Safety Sense (only available on Limited with Technology package, or so I was told).

She can't even wait until after Spring to get a hold of the SUV! :(

Only blessing is that the Hybrid has slightly more oomph with some additional torque or HP and maybe more fuel efficient (more forgiving) if driven slightly harder (compared to the non-hybrid counterpart). Never had a Toyota hybrid before so not sure if the latter is true.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I really 'loved' my Lexus RX AWD hybrid, and really wish I could have gotten a RAV4 hybrid. But, the poor Lexus was all worn out and I couldn't wait an extra three months longer. I thought about trading in my RAV, which only has 2,600 miles on it for a hybrid, but I'd take a huge financial hit! Maybe in a couple of years?

·
Registered
71 Posts

We didn't but hybrids to save money but to use less fuel and create fewer pollutants. The Highlander hybrid is our 4th hybrid car and we use hypermiling techniques to beat the epa averages. Upping your mpgs becomes a fun game you play every time you drive a hybrid (at least for us). For example, my brother bought my 2009 Prius and, playing that game, got over 61 mpgs on his daily commute. My best in the same car was 54.5 mpgs and the epa average was something like 48.

Comparisons are problematic. The Highlander/RX Hybrids have 3.5 liter gas engines (compared to 2.5 in the RAV4 Hybrid). Also, the Highlander Hybrid has a much larger traction battery (I believe) than any other Toyota hybrid. Those factors, the differences in gross vehicle weight, wheel diameter and aerodynamics, all affect fuel efficiency and mpgs. The Camry/Avalon hybrids have similar (maybe identical) drive trains, though, and get 40 mpgs. Also, I read that Toyota had recently improved the 2.5 liter Atkinson cycle engine to increase efficiency several percent. I hope they put that engine in the RAV4 hybrid.

·
Registered
846 Posts
^ Can we gently apply the brakes while highway driving to make the MPG slightly better? Of course, that's when there are no cars around. :)

Sounds like even while highway driving, the battery is being charged only at a slower pace; so won't applying the brakes regenerate the battery faster and thus boost highway MPG?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hypermiling can be very dangerous, especially when people make a game out of it.
Have to admit that I was clueless and had to look up 'hypermilling'. Not sure how dangerous it actually is, but I've been doing it for about 15 years now. I just thought I had matured and didn't feel the need to drive so aggressively anymore. And the fact that I'm so cheap and would rather spend my money on bicycles instead of gasoline.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have to admit that I was clueless and had to look up 'hypermilling'. Not sure how dangerous it actually is, but I've been doing it for about 15 years now. I just thought I had matured and didn't feel the need to drive so aggressively anymore. And the fact that I'm so cheap and would rather spend my money on bicycles instead of gasoline.
Well, driving maturely isn't really hypermiling. I know people who hypermile and they brag about what a game it is and how they can squeeze mileage by driving in unsafe ways as well as not going with the flow of traffic and just generally having little concern for other motorists while they play their games.

I too prefer spending money on bicycles but unfortunately I still need a car to get around. :)

1 - 20 of 159 Posts