Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, finally happened. Small rock hit on the extreme passenger's side edge of the front windshield and a day later there is a meandering horizontal crack extending from the edge of the windshield to essentially halfway to the opposite side.

(Given I drive 60 miles daily round-trip on a highway that is essentially a construction zone, I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier, but wow, haven't even had the vehicle a year yet!)

It looks like from reading other posts that this will probably run me about $300 or so. Thankfully, this is the LE model so no fancy cameras.

I'm debating trying to do the dealer route or go with a local shop that can possibly get OEM glass. Now, surrounding the rear-view mirror there is that....black speckle type-stuff on the glass.... that I think is supposed to be a sunshade. Does glass from the local shops tend to have this?

Also, at what point does a windshield crack become a safety issue? Given that there's going to be rocks/gravel/big-trucks-kicking-up-debris on this highway for the next two years, I'm considering not replacing the glass if I don't have to. (With my luck, I'll just get another crack after replacement!) As I mentioned, the crack stops just short of crossing over to the driver's side half of the windshield.

--Michael in Houston

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Suggest that you check your insurance - many policies will pay for that sort of windshield replacement with no deductible.

In some states driving with a cracked windshield can result in a violation citation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts